Seafood Stew with Tomatoes and Basil

karennoca

This is the Cover Recipe from a February issue of Bon Appetit. It has wonderful flavor, color and is a fast meal. I use fresh sea scallops in place of the crabmeat. Be sure to remove the muscle from the scallops and the ones I get are so large, I cut in half.

Seafood Stew with Tomatoes and Basil

4 servings

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
4 tsp dried oregano (second time I used 2 tsp)
1 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
2 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes with added puree
2 1/2 cups bottled clam juice
1 cup dry white wine
2 6 1/2 ounce cans chopped clams, drained, liquid reserved (I used fresh sea scallops)
1 lb. uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined (I buy the frozen, uncooked, deveined, peeled ones at Costco)
1 6 ounce can crabmeat, drained (use fresh, if available, or Phillips pasteurized crab from Costco)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
cayenne pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano,and fennel seeds and saute until onion is tender about 8 min.
Add tomatoes, clam juice, white wine and if used, liquid reserved from clams. Increase heat and boil until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Add clams (or scallops) shrimp, crabmeat. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.

Mix in fresh basil, and simmer until shrimp are just opaque in center, about 2 min. longer. Season stew to taste with cayenne, salt and pepper.

I also added some fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. Have the Tabasco bottle at the table for those who want to add some additional spice.

Serve with some great sourdough and a lovely white wine.

This is better made one day ahead so flavors can develop, which makes it a great no-stress dish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back