Senegalese (aka West African) Peanut Soup

ron_in_worcester

The recipe that follows, taken from James Peterson's excellent first edition of "Splendid Soups", is one of my all-time favorite recipes, and one that I rediscovered while looking through my storage room the other day. The restaurant at the bookstore at which I was formerly employed (and has since gone out of business) managed to make this recipe one of its signature dishes. I promise you: if you make it just once, you'll know why:

SENEGALESE PEANUT SOUP

1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp. cayenne pepper or more to taste
2 Tbsp. peanut or vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. curry powder
3 cups chicken broth
10 medium-size tomatoes, cut in half crosswise, seeds squeezed out, coarsely chopped
OR
5 cups drained and seeded canned tomatoes, chopped
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
salt and pepper
sour cream
lime wedges

In a 4-quart pot over medium heat, cook the onion, garlic and cayenne pepper in the oil until the onion turns translucent--about 10 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and stir the mixture over medium heat for one minute more.

Add the chicken broth and tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes more and strain the soup through the fine disk of a food mill or push it through a medium-mesh strainer with a ladle.

Bring the soup to a simmer and whisk in the peanut butter. Season with salt and pepper and more cayenne if you want it hotter.

Serve sour cream and lime wedges at the table.

Suggestions/Variations: You can give this soup extra richness and a velvety texture by adding a cup of coconut milk or heavy cream. Sometimes I add a few tablespoons of chopped cilantro.

The same combination of ingredients is also used to make chicken à la Senegalese, so if you want to turn this soup into a substantial main course, brown a cut up chicken in peanut oil, then simmer it in the soup for 15 or 20 minutes.

Splendid Soups

James Peterson

Last edited by a moderator:
Back