Should I put cookie dough in freezer or not?

mariadnoca

I make the dough several days ago and baking the last today to ship. However, I’m to bring cookies to Christmas Eve, so made extra dough to bake later in the week. Since I made the dough several days ago, can it stay in the refrigerator, or should I freeze/thaw for a few days? I think it will be fine, but just wanted to check.

Dough will be fine in the refrigerator. I checked the recipe and the only issue I've run into was with yeast (nut rolls) and oddly, a scone that added cooked egg yolks. Those do not last for a long time in the refrigerator.

I had the doughs for CC, peanut butter kisses, almond kisses, key lime meltaways and biscotti in the refrigerator for a month. Then I shaped each version and put them in the freezer, then I baked them in PA for the wedding. No problems with anything.

Dough will be fine in the refrigerator. I checked the recipe and the only issue I've run into was with yeast (nut rolls) and oddly, a scone that added cooked egg yolks. Those do not last for a long time in the refrigerator.

I had the doughs for CC, peanut butter kisses, almond kisses, key lime meltaways and biscotti in the refrigerator for a month. Then I shaped each version and put them in the freezer, then I baked them in PA for the wedding. No problems with anything.
Good to know Marilyn!

Let me add...I always pack down the dough in the container so there are no air gaps, then press Saran wrap on the surface and then seal.
For dough packed in gallon-freeze lock bags, i gently press the dough into all corners so, again, there are no air gaps.

Biscotti dough can have it first (log-shape) bake and then be frozen closer to when it is needed, thaw in refrigerator, slice and bake second & flip sides.
Rugelach dough can be formed into logs, wrapped in Saran, wrapped in foil and stored in freezer for quite a long time. Note: These rugelach are NOT shaped using a pie-wedge method. By using a log shape, the filling stays neat and you can get very accurate, consistent cuts.

Adam wedding cookies.jpg

Last edited:
Back