Snickerdoodle fans, Nancy Silverton (of La Brea fame) has your cookie

marilynfl

During COVID, Nancy ate a peanut butter cookie that was perfection. She made a few tiny tweaks and then set about tweaking favorite cookies and pastries. She claims this changed her life. In this newest recipe book, she has a recipe for snickerdoodle based on goodboybob coffee roasters in Culver City. To quote: "it wasn't just the moist and chewy texture, it was the flavor that won me over." This quote comes after a long dissertation on why she NEVER thought they were that good of a cookie.

However, her final statement before the long recipe is this: "these are best the day you make them and still delicious the next day, but I don't recommend keeping them any longer than that."

Now I know many of you make these for the holidays and mail them out, so....

let me know if you want the recipe, considering her coda statement.

During COVID, Nancy ate a peanut butter cookie that was perfection. She made a few tiny tweaks and then set about tweaking favorite cookies and pastries. She claims this changed her life. In this newest recipe book, she has a recipe for snickerdoodle based on goodboybob coffee roasters in Culver City. To quote: "it wasn't just the moist and chewy texture, it was the flavor that won me over." This quote comes after a long dissertation on why she NEVER thought they were that good of a cookie.

However, her final statement before the long recipe is this: "these are best the day you make them and still delicious the next day, but I don't recommend keeping them any longer than that."

Now I know many of you make these for the holidays and mail them out, so....

let me know if you want the recipe, considering her coda statement.

I’d love the recipe! I want to compare. I often make them for myself given they don’t have chocolat.

snickerdoodle.jpg

Fill a large bowl with ice and set your mixer bowl on top of that ice. This next bit is tricky. You're going to melt the butter, then brown it for 4-8 minutes, measure out 340 grams (including brown milk solids) and put in to the chilled mixer bowl. There will be some extra butter left over. Cool over the ice, stirring constantly until thick and creamy (about 10 minutes).

Whisk eggs, yogurt and vanilla in a small bowl (she is adamant about the TBL of yogurt and the bean paste).
Remove mixer bowl from ice, add sugars to butter and using paddle, beat for 1 minute. Add dry spices & salt. Beat 15 minutes. Scrap, and gradually add egg mixture. Add flour and mix on low for 30 seconds.
Scoop 43 gram portions (3 TBL) and drop onto cookie sheet. Chill for at least 1 hour.

Put one rack in top third and second rack in bottom third. Preheat to 350 degrees, preferably in convection oven.
Working with 6 dough balls at a time, roll into perfect ball. Roll in finishing spice, space 1.5" apart. Roll 6 more, putting remaining dough in the refrigerator.
Bake 9-13 minutes, rotating and switching racks half way through.

Last edited:
Reading the recipe I can fully appreciate just how rich and moist and wonderful this is! Thank you for posting!

View attachment 2671

Fill a large bowl with ice and set your mixer bowl on top of that ice. This next bit is tricky. You're going to melt the butter, then brown it for 4-8 minutes, measure out 340 grams (including brown milk solids) and put in to the chilled mixer bowl. There will be some extra butter left over. Cool over the ice, stirring constantly until thick and creamy (about 10 minutes).

Whisk eggs, yogurt and vanilla in a small bowl (she is adamant about the TBL of yogurt and the bean paste).
Remove mixer bowl from ice, add sugars to butter and using paddle, beat for 1 minute. Add dry spices & salt. Beat 15 minutes. Scrap, and gradually add egg mixture. Add flour and mix on low for 30 seconds.
Scoop 43 gram portions (3 TBL) and drop onto cookie sheet. Chill for at least 1 hour.

Put one rack in top third and second rack in bottom third. Preheat to 350 degrees, preferably in convection oven.
Working with 6 dough balls at a time, roll into perfect ball. Roll in finishing spice, space 1.5" apart. Roll 6 more, putting remaining dough in the refrigerator.
Bake 9-13 minutes, rotating and switching racks half way through.

So dough and baking sheet is cold when it goes in the oven? Oh wait. This section is difficult to follow imho. I think she means, preheat to 350F, chill dough in 3T portions for 1 hour, then roll into balls, roll in spice, place 6 per baking sheet. Keep remaining dough chilled till ready to use. Is that the way you are reading it too?

“Scoop 43 gram portions (3 TBL) and drop onto cookie sheet. Chill for at least 1 hour.

Bake 9-13 minutes, rotating and switching racks half way through.”

The bowl for the butter is chilled and then the remaining dough is kept chilled while working on shaping the balls. Sheet pan is not chilled.
I'm okay with copy/pasting the ingredients but I paraphrased the directions as that is her IP. Recipe is 2 pages long and intro and photo are another 2 pages.

This book might be best taken out from the library so you can follow it precisely. I just made her granola (which uses ammonium carbonate to foam up the liquids), promising crunchy chunky granola--my personal favorite--and it does. I also found sorghum flour at the health food store (it's GF) so I'll be trying her infamous life-changing peanut butter cookies next. Although Michael in Phoenix's PB cookie and Dalilah's PB sandwich cookies are my personal favorites.

Great, thanks. I want to try the pb ones too. Have you made these snickerdoodles? Clearly with all that brown butter they will be different, but are they worth all the extra steps? One of the things I like about traditional ones is how quick they are to make.

No...never tried them. To be honest, since they had no chocolate, I never bothered (I guess you were normalizing my lack of effort). So, I wouldn't be able to make a comparison. But lately I've been trying more basic cookies...plus I'm kind of tired of chocolate. Decided to try her shortbread next, as she compares it to Walkers.

No...never tried them. To be honest, since they had no chocolate, I never bothered (I guess you were normalizing my lack of effort). So, I wouldn't be able to make a comparison. But lately I've been trying more basic cookies...plus I'm kind of tired of chocolate. Decided to try her shortbread next, as she compares it to Walkers.
Ohhh I love shortbread. And I miss chocolate, but it gives me terrible heart palpitations that keep me up at night even with a sleeping pill. So I’ve mostly given it up (or resolved I’m not going to sleep). I’ll try and get it from the library. I admit, a pound of butter made me 😳

Back