Snickerdoodle Muffins

mariadnoca

Posted by colleenmomof2

I took half the batch across the street to my neighbors because I couldn't stop eating these! The boys found them too sweet - teenagers :eek:) - but to me they were perfect. I'd be eating one right now if I could!

The recipe for the sugar coating is probably twice what you will need but I've found it's hard to roll cookies, etc., in sugar unless you have lots extra. Also, I dropped the batter balls in the coating, splashed them all over with the sugar and then rolled them around to be sure that the sugar was well adhered without getting my fingers too messy. Someone did a test with and without muffin papers and found that the muffins rose higher if you go without. I greased my muffin tins and didn't have any trouble removing the muffins. I made one tray of 12 regular muffins (with huge caps) and 8 mini's from the recipe.

The muffins caused quite a stir when a "baker" tried the recipe, didn't get the results they expected and asked Peabody for a refund - for the story check out the link under image URL.

Snickerdoodle Muffins

2 sticks unsalted butter

1 cup sugar

2 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

¾ tsp baking soda

¾ tsp baking powder

¾ tsp cream of tarter

¾ tsp freshly grated nutmeg

1 and ¼ cup sour cream

2 and ¼ cups all purpose flour

1 cup sugar and 2 TBSP cinnamon mixed together for rolling

1. Cream the butter and sugar until soft about 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the vanilla. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix until each is incorporated.

2. In a separate, mix together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and cream of tarter.

3. Add the flour mixture and the sour cream alternately to the egg-butter mixture in the additions. Start with the flour and end with the flour. Scrape the bowl occasionally.

4. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out muffin batter one at a time and drop into a shallow bowl filled with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll the muffin around in the mixture until it is covered completely in cinnamon sugar. Place muffin in muffin tin. Depending on the size of your tins, you should get about 12 to 14 muffins. Bake them for approx. 20-22 minutes in a 350F oven or until they are golden brown.

Maria's notes: I made all mini-muffins without using paper liners, spraying well with a canola oil cooking spray, and this yielded approx 62 mini muffins. I used a cookie scoop instead of ice cream. The first batch I used an oversized amount in the scoop which gave me huge tops but several broke off. I found using just the amount of the scoop works best. Also, tops should be a consistent golden brown not so much the two-tone when you make the cookie version or they tend to crumble. Also, I barely had enough of the sugar mixture so the amount of that came out perfect for minis. These took approx 12-14 minutes in a 350F oven.

http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/2007/03/16/cookie-conversion/

Back