So now I keep seeing edible glitter everywhere

marilynfl

I was reading this cookbook today: I'll bring the Cake by Mandy Merriman

and she covers quite a few in glitter. Now ALL of her cakes in this book are identical in shape: she uses a cake mix enhanced with buttermilk and sour cream and the batter is baked in three 6" pans.

To coat an entire cake, she covers the cake with buttercream, puts it in the freezer to harden and then ROLLS the cake in glitter.

Silver Glitter.jpg Pink Glitter.jpg

The instructions call for 2 to 3 CUPS of glitter and sanding sugar. I'm trying to wrap my mind around just how much that would cost because you usually buy edible glitter in small containers that are 1/4 Cup...maybe 1/2 Cup? Certainly NOT TWO to THREE CUPS.

I just chatted (literally, in a chat box) with Corrina at Bakell.com and they sell a 25 gram pump-action bottle of edible glitter that will cover a 6" stacked cake. 25 grams is ~ 9 ounces. And it was on sale for $40.48 down from $55.

I can only assume authors get to deduct the cost of the ingredients use to produce a cookbook.

PS: In all honesty, I would NOT have the confidence to dip my layered cake ON ITS SIDE to try covering it with anything.

Last edited:
Not to mention, pretty sure it’s been said that edible glitter isn’t truly edible.

and speaking of glitter I have disco dust EVERYWHERE in my house. The kitchen floor is obviously covered in it, but now I see glitter flash on the bed, when I turn a certain way in the mirror, the cat sparkled running by…and you can’t get it off…I seriously doubt I can ever get it all.

I wouldn't be scared to roll it per se but I sure as heck: 1) wouldn't spend the money, 2) wouldn't feel that it is safe to consume Marilyn, thanks so much for doing the research. I love sprinkles, etc. but don't care for the taste. And as Maria said - I wouldn't feel safe to consume.

I wonder about its edibility as well. I ran into it first when I was served a cocktail (at a restaurant) on my birthday. It had a pile of glitter rolling around in it. I do recognize the good and celebratory intentions, but I sure did not feel comfortable drinking glitter.

Hummm. Wish the video showed using it. I’ve colored sugar and there is no shine. I have edible glitter flaked like the first version with paper. I’ve never used it on cake, but cookies it completely disappears. It soaks up liquid and basically nothing shows up. Then I have the standard edible glitter in the small pots. They are better, but still not high glitter. That comes with “disco dust“ edible glitter, also in small pots. Luster dust and disco dust or diamond dust are different in how much they shine. I just bought more because the disco dust is what really popped on the cookies I did for Christmas. However, it didn’t show in any photos, but really showed in person. Honestly, the disco dust looks like it has actual tiny rainbow glitter mixed in with the color (white added a snow feel). So not sure it’s considered truly edible. When I tried to buy more from the brand of the one I used for Christmas, they no longer make it and their website alluded it was because it’s no longer considered truly edible. At least by them. (They still make luster dust, just not the highly glitter, disco dust.)

So, fyi, probably more than you wanted to know!

I wonder about its edibility as well. I ran into it first when I was served a cocktail (at a restaurant) on my birthday. It had a pile of glitter rolling around in it. I do recognize the good and celebratory intentions, but I sure did not feel comfortable drinking glitter.
I have seen so many cocktails on Instagram with glitter and my first and perpetual reaction is bleh! And no thank you. I have some from Fancy Sprinkles for baking. I much prefer edible luster powder applied judicially and FS had a tiny pump to spray it on rather effectively.

Back