Sodom and Gomorrah Chicken Casserole

marilynfl

For those of you not taught Catechism by Sister Mary Penitentia of the Wooden Ruler, the towns of Sodom and Gomorrah were the biblical crowd's “party central” during Old Testament days. Picture a hedonistic version of “Days of Our Lives” but without the lipgloss and a lot more sand.

One night an angel warned righteous Lot to take his family and leave town without looking back. They were on the road to salvation when Mrs. Lot failed to heed the warning, glanced back, and turned into a pillar of salt.

Now the King James version doesn’t mention it, but I think she was trying to leave something behind....and it was this recipe. You see, my friend, this little gem can be your culinary salvation on that day when brain cells start spontaneously screaming: “Oh My God! Casserole! Pot Luck! Tomorrow!!”

See the connection now?

This is the casserole for those times when you're incapable of whole sentences, let alone a complicated dish. It’s quick and easy and resembles the trashier step-sister of lasagna. Layers of egg noodles and cubed chicken are topped with green chili sauce and crowned with pre-shredded cheese. All the components can be bought ready to be combined.

It might have been called Trollop Chicken Casserole but for this kicker: due to the canned soups and chicken broth, it contains an obscene amount of salt. Add in the sodium from the cheese and it ranks a warning from the Surgeon General. But it’s hot, creamy and spicy with pepperjack cheese, green chiles and pickled jalapenos, big chunks of chicken, and that bubbling cheese topping. Sinful? Yeah. But you want my advice? Just enjoy it and don’t look back.

Makes a thick 11x13 pan or several smaller casseroles. Freezes well.

2 rotisserie chickens

1 14-oz can chicken broth

1 12-oz package of egg noodles

1 diced onion, with butter or olive oil to saute

3 cans cream of mushroom or chicken soup

1 4-oz can green chile (in any form; you'll end up dicing them anyway)

8 oz shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite Mexican cheese)

4 oz shredded pepperjack cheese

Sauce Extras (to your own taste):

1 to 3 Tbl diced canned jalapenos

2 Tbl pimentos (for color)

1 4-oz can of mushrooms, chopped

Topping:

1 cup sour cream

2 Tbl broth

Black olives, sliced.

Preheat oven to 400 if you plan on eating it immediately.

1. Bring large pot of water to boil and cook noodles according to package. Rinse with cold water to stop cooking.

2. While noodles are cooking, de-skin and de-bone chicken, then cut breasts and thighs into 1” cubes (reserve legs and wings for another meal.)

3. Pour canned broth into a pot and add chicken skin and bones to augment flavor. Simmer for 5 minutes.

4. In a large pan, saute diced onion until soft (about 3 minutes). Add creamy soups, diced chiles, jalapenos, pimentos and mushrooms. Thin with broth, reserving 2 Tbls of broth to thin sour cream topping (if used).

In a large casserole, spread a bit of sauce on the bottom, then layer half of the noodles, chicken, sauce and cheese, adding a second layer of each. Finish by drizzling the thinned sour cream in a decorative pattern and strategically place olives in a Da Vinci Code-type cryptogram.

Prep Time: 20 minutes.

Bake Time: 20-40 minutes

To eat immediately, bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

If refrigerated first, bake 40 minutes to heat the core and bubble the cheese.

Use the time to pray for low blood pressure.

LOL! Now how could I not read this!!!!

plus you took me back in time to revisit the memories of the scary nun's! What's not to like?! And it's perfect for serving with that new Da Vinci Code movie coming out! Can you say theme night?! Love it! (but don't try to decode it!)

man, this would be totally bi***ing with cream of poblano soup. . .

(campbells cream of poblano)that I found once and never again at the 99 only store.

I have not seen cream of poblano soup at any of the storea in my area that I frequent, but then again I have never looked too hard for it.

Maybe it is time for an overdue trip to the latin market(s) waaaay down the hill.

Back