Solid Surface Cooktop

earnie

I am interesting in changing out our cook tops. I think there are two different types of the solid surface types. Radiant and halogen? What is the difference. We are hoping to change out our Jenn Air top (electric eyes) for a a solid surface.

Earnie

Hi Earnie! Here's some info

from my experience.

I have the ceramic radiant type and for the most part I like it very much (although it still isn't gas, but that's another story). From my experience, I would prefer this over the halogen. First off, the halogen can damage your eyes if you look down into it. They're more expensive, and they do roughly the same job as ceramic radiant.

What I like most about the set in glass cooking surface is that it is COUNTERTOP when you're not using it. And for one who will never have enough counterspace such as myself, that is a very nice feature.

Still enjoying your wonderful julep recipe.

Hi Earnie! We have a solid stovetop also (m)

While I have 5 burners (ranging in size) One is specifically Halogen. I rarely use it. I find that it heats up too quickly. While this is an advantage for boiling water or quick stir fry. I have come to realize that for the majority of my cooking, I like to have more control over the amount of heat...Start of low temp, then higher, etc...My halogen is too high and I really can't control the temp well.

At first I thought it was broken, BUT, after having a repairman here, he assured me that it was working properly. I am not a fan....

I also like my stovetop...

Regards,
Barb

Ah, but there is a third alternative....

Induction cooktops - they look excatly like the ceramics or the halogens, but they do not get red or light up - what they do do, is boil a huge pot of water in about 5 minutes and you can touch the surface while it's on and not get burned...

here is some info: http://www.subzero.com/wolf/description.asp?category=cooktops&id=31 There may be others out there, the one I use is Miele, but they don't seem to have it on their US website.

it's one small unit, but you can combine 2-3 to make a 4-6 burner cooktop -

I can't recommend it enough - I use it at work and as soon as we re-do our kitchen it's coming in here!

Thanks all

Richard, Barb, and Sandra. Thanks for the information. Richard, glad you are enjoying the juleps. I have recently found another source for "homemade wine and brandy". The Tennessee hills do hold a bounty.

Back