Souvlaki

charley2

Dear daughter fixed chicken kebabs on the grill last night and served it with a chunky greek salad (no lettuce, just lots of the tomatoes, cukes, peperoncini, olives, artichoke hearts, etc.) AND a gluten free pita and vegan tzatziki sauce (TJs). Absolutely delicious. It made me think of a souvlaki recipe I used to make and loved and have copied below.

For info-the pita bread is BeeFree and is as a REALLY good pita bread.

I am pretty sure I didn't use that much olive oil but probably didn't make it with 3# of meat.
I also am not sure of the origin of this recipe but I do remember that Michael made a killer one and this may be his recipe.

Souvlaki

3 lbs. (approx.) boneless lamb, pork or chicken (Boneless leg of lamb or boneless pork shoulder or Boston Butt roast works well. Boneless/skinless chicken breasts are good too!)

1 cup e.v. olive oil
8 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
Juice of 1 large or 2 medium lemons
1/4 cup Low Salt soy sauce (Kikkoman is good)
2 tbsp. Greek oregano
1 tbsp. freshly ground pepper (or less, to taste)

1 large onion, diced added to the marinade
2 large onions, quartered, then cut into eighths
2 large (or three medium) green bell peppers, cut into eighths

Cube meat into largish 1 1/2 inch pieces, trimming visible fat and connective tissue as you go.

Combine marinade ingredients and whisk to emulsify.

Place meat, onions in a large ziplock bag and add marinade. Place in fridge for at least 8 hours, overnight is best, turning the bag whenever you think about it. Save a little marinade for the veggies. I marinated for just a few hours and it was delicious.

Marinate the onions and peppers for grilling in some of the fresh marinade

Thread meat onto (metal) skewers and grill over hot coals until browned on all sides.

This marinade is also fantastic with cubed boneless chicken breasts.

serve this with yogurt sauce, crumbled feta cheese and a simple Greek salad. With pita bread, brushed with oil, sprinkled with kosher salt and heated in the grill.

Back