sylvia

STEAK AND KIDNEY PIE

A Margo Oliver Recipe

1 1/2 lb round steak, cut 1/2 inch thick

2 beef or 3 veal kidneys

6 tbsps. flour

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/4 cup butter (I just use a little canola oil)

2 onions, sliced

2 tsps. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

2 cups boiling water ( I use beer)

1 tbsp. steaksauce

Dash Tabasco

3 large sprigs parsley, chopped

1 large sprig celery leaves, chopped

1 small bay leaf

2 tbsps. butter

2 tbsps. flour

2 tbsps. butter (optional)

1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced (optional)

Pastry for 2 crust 8 inch pie

1 egg yolk

1 tbsp. cold water

Trim fat from steak and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Skin kidneys, split lengthwise and remove all fat and veins. Drop into cold water and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and cut into small cubes. Dry well.

Combine 6 tbsps. flour, 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a flat dish and dredge pieces of steak and kidney in this mixture.

Heat 1/4 cup butter in large heavy pan. Add onions and cook gently until lightly browned. Add meat. Cook and stir until browned. Sprinkle with 2 tsps salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.

Add water (beer), steak sauce, Tabasco, parsley, celery and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until tender.

Cream 2 tbsps flour together until well blended. Add to boiling mixture a little at a time. Cook and stir until thickened. (If the gravy looks thick enough I leave this step out.)

Heat 2 tsps butter in skillet and cook mushrooms 2 minutes. Add to meat mixture.

Heat oven to 450 degrees.

Put steak and kidney mixture into 2 qt. casserole. Let cool slightly.

Roll pastry a little thicker than usual for a pie and 1 inch larger than the top of the casserol. Lay it on top of meat mixture, turn under edge and seal well to sides of casserole.

Beat egg yolk and cold water together with a fork and brush over pastry. Cut a large slash in the centre of the pastry. Bake about 20 minutes or until pasty is well browned and meat misture is bubbling.

Serves 6 to 8

You can cheat and use puff pastry....the frozen kind you can buy at the supermarket.

Back