Suggestions for baking/cooking class at library

marilynfl

Today I volunteered to lead a basic baking or cooking demo at the library. The librarian who ran the "Cook the Book" program has retired and the person now taking her place is leaving this proposal up to me. They are already talking to the Extension center for sourdough and preserving classes, which is great because I don't do either of those.

So...

...what should I offer? I believe the library limits the class to 20 individuals. I hope to Julia that is true.

I was thinking of these ideas:
  • caramel, which can be tricky, but I think I've nailed the process. I would provide premade caramel samples, show how to thin the caramel down to make sauce and also show how the initial melted sugar state is used in flan and a topping for creme brulee. Topic would include how our elevation changes the base temperatures (water boils at 212 sea level. it boils at 206 at my elevation (3000 feet), pot size, thermometer use (required!)
  • roasted beet tart, which includes (obviously) roasted beets, pecan crust and creamy cheese base. Along with that I would show how to candy walnuts, which takes all of 5 minutes and is the perfect topping for this tart.
  • flourless chocolate cake
  • biscotti
  • cake balls
  • tomato galette
  • rugelach
What would YOU want to learn how to make?

I think your caramel idea is perfect. You actually got me involved in making the stuff and I messed with it over time to make it really useful and fun. A easy product that can be expanded creatively is one that people might be most interested in. It's something that we don't normally see on videos and within recipes. It also gets people to learn to be creative, not just with that product but all around the kitchen as they develop confidence to get outside the old box.

If you were to show how simple it is to do, with the proviso that care MUST be taken with timing and temp, etc., then deal with methods of preserving, expanding the nature of caramel to show how it can fancy up simple recipes..................you know.

Second choice would be a tomato galette. It's about to be the season. There are SO many ways of making this that it also provides an opportunity for creativity. And it is not particularly common.

What do you have access to? Oven? Stove top? Etc. Is it to be paired with any cookbooks?
The new librarian showed me the movable tabletop unit with sink and burner element. It has a large tilting mirror above that. I also have a portable induction burner and a butane powered gas burner.

Kathy ran the Cook the Book club...not sure who is going to do that now. I tried to get into that for 6 years. No one ever left it. And when she would set up a single cooking event, the class was filled before she even posted the information to the public.
If I do this, I'm going to limit attendance to two classes so others can get in.

I think your caramel idea is perfect. You actually got me involved in making the stuff and I messed with it over time to make it really useful and fun. A easy product that can be expanded creatively is one that people might be most interested in. It's something that we don't normally see on videos and within recipes. It also gets people to learn to be creative, not just with that product but all around the kitchen as they develop confidence to get outside the old box.

If you were to show how simple it is to do, with the proviso that care MUST be taken with timing and temp, etc., then deal with methods of preserving, expanding the nature of caramel to show how it can fancy up simple recipes..................you know.

Second choice would be a tomato galette. It's about to be the season. There are SO many ways of making this that it also provides an opportunity for creativity. And it is not particularly common.
marg, tomato pies are famous around here, but there are as many variations on that as there are types of tomatoes. The galette version would show the pastry fraisage method plus my little secret of draining the tomatoes to ensure the pie dough stays crisp.

marg, tomato pies are famous around here, but there are as many variations on that as there are types of tomatoes. The galette version would show the pastry fraisage method plus my little secret of draining the tomatoes to ensure the pie dough stays crisp.

I suppose I am always thinking French and therefore the variations. I think I have never seen a French chef/baker produce the same recipe/product. And I was not thinking galette, just open. See, already so many variations.

Yes, I recall that book you found. It's good for me to have another recipe. I will try it soon? Come on tomatoes!!

Caramel is such a great idea (and I say this from one who tosses a lot of caramel in the garbage - I'd like to take the course). Everyone loves a good flourless chocolate cake too! Cake balls too

I was thinking of you tonight as I was watching the Master Baking: Paris (or something like that) as they featured a competition on caramel.

Ha…I’m satisfied if the sugar doesn’t clump!
Definitely in the caramel camp too. You should have someone film you and post here. :) still thinking about another class.... A few Q's: are they beginners or more seasoned cooks? How long is a class session, 1-2 hours? I think dough/breadmaking is another intimidating subject for many.
Here's THE tomato tartin recipe, in case it is no longer stuck to your forehead. :ROFLMAO:
Maybe you can bring a premade one for everyone to taste, then show process up to baking since it doesn't sound like you have an oven....

Last edited:
Maybe an appetizer "party?" People are always looking for new appys to serve.
Just made this again today, 3 T&T cheers for Cathy's Caponata. CAPONATA
Whipped feta and tomato crostini. The wok fried edamame with the Alan Wong sauce is a good one too. T&T has quite a few that would be interesting..... I went to a class many moons ago where it was a 3 course meal. Was nice to go home and have a full meal idea to make.

Last edited:
Do you have any inkling of the audience? Newer/family cooks might want fast n easy summer favorites, more advanced would want skilled recipes. Another might want frugal (given high grocery prices) and how to make a roast chicken, and stock from it, last all week. Another theme could be what’s local and in season.

You might get some ideas/recipes from Corporate Team Building Cooking Events & Parties San Francisco Bay Area. I’ve used them for corporate team building cooking events and never had a bad recipe. I believe our own pat/norcal has even worked with them.

and, along the same vein
I also think of you when I think of lemon curd. You aced, canning it. Such a great idea. How I would love to open my 'larder' and find 6 jars of Marilyn's lemon curd therein.

It's another thing that you can just make, show people how not to screw it up and then, go on with how many ways you can enhance the basic product, then elevate desserts, and alter it to make a new product.

For example, a lemon curd, a pecan dacquoise and whipped cream, layered. Ingredients on hand but what an elegant dessert that can produce.

I guess we need to know the sorts who will be in your first class and to learn about their interests and capabilities. Has there been any kind of survey of the participants. It seems to me that there are so many 'recipes' and sites around, but no one is teaching people to think creatively.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone...these are very helpful comments!

What a fluke, marg, I just gave two sets of house guests lessons in making lemon curd using the Vitamix (10 minutes, start to finish from pulling ingredients out of the frig to bottling it) and sent two sets of happy guests home clutching their jars (BTW, curd is REALLY good on blueberry pancakes). I explained how/where there is is difference when cooking stovetop (takes longer, you must be careful not to make scrambled eggs, testing without a digital thermometer, etc. So I could do both in a class since there is a burner there. Both methods would be important to show because not everyone has a high speed blender (which gets the egg mixture up to 190 degrees) or an accurate digital thermometer. I actually thought of letting them taste a finished version of my limoncello tiramisu which uses the curd in the zabaglione and on the top. That cake involves making and piping your own lady fingers, preparing the zabaglione, mixing up the marscapone and finishing off the cake...too advanced for a basic class.

70DC8709-36AD-49C3-8412-943ABF05AF97_1_105_c.jpeg

To the attendees: I have NO CLUE who comes to these events because--in 6 years of trying--I have been unable to get into a class. So I don't know if folks are there simply to spend an hour at the library and get free food or if they actually want to learn stuff. We'll see.

Thank you everyone...these are very helpful comments!

What a fluke, marg, I just gave two sets of house guests lessons in making lemon curd using the Vitamix (10 minutes, start to finish from pulling ingredients out of the frig to bottling it) and sent two sets of happy guests home clutching their jars (BTW, curd is REALLY good on blueberry pancakes). I explained how/where there is is difference when cooking stovetop (takes longer, you must be careful not to make scrambled eggs, testing without a digital thermometer, etc. So I could do both in a class since there is a burner there. Both methods would be important to show because not everyone has a high speed blender (which gets the egg mixture up to 190 degrees) or an accurate digital thermometer. I actually thought of letting them taste a finished version of my limoncello tiramisu which uses the curd in the zabaglione and on the top. That cake involves making and piping your own lady fingers, preparing the zabaglione, mixing up the marscapone and finishing off the cake...too advanced for a basic class.

View attachment 2847

To the attendees: I have NO CLUE who comes to these events because--in 6 years of trying--I have been unable to get into a class. So I don't know if folks are there simply to spend an hour at the library and get free food or if they actually want to learn stuff. We'll see.
I've been using Sylvia's microwave method successfully for years, but since I have a Vitamix, I would love to see your version go into T&T desserts Marilyn!

Can you water bath can curd? If so, I’m going to do a happy dance right now. I mean I figured it was safe, but I’ve always gifted it fresh because I wasn’t sure If it’s pressure or waterbathed.

Do you make Pierre Herme's version in the vm? I’ve only made food and wine’s per Meryl.

maria, I had to do a little sleuthing. I simply pour my hot curd into boiled bottles, seal, cool, and then refrigerate. I have mailed it out to folks and so far no one has died (Hi GayR...please be alive!).

According to the Internet, high-acid foods can safely be preserved without a pressure cooker by using a water bath (lidded or not)...lemon/lime curds fall into this category. However. low-acid foods, like corn, peas, etc--absolutely cannot not. No matter how long the jars are boiled.

I have a sous vide (not sure if you do) and checked with Samin Nosrat's Chez Panisse Sous Vide lemon curd (using Meyer & Eureka lemons). This is a no-work version, but she states it lasts 5 days in the refrigerator and nothing about being shelf/pantry stable. That's because it never gets about 180 degrees. So that's a no in my book for her version.
However I'll probably try this if/when I find $$ Meyer lemons that don't require an organ donation.

This next link talks about canning lemon curd, but the thing I had to research here was whether her term "water bath canner" required a special appliance. It isn't a pressure cooker, but it also does NOT required a sealed pot lid. So simply submerging the jars in boiling water for the required time (read her comments carefully as the timing is important) is sufficient. Leaving the lid off just waste more energy.

RE: Pierre Herme's lemon cream version. That is basically lemon curd with 500% more butter (4 TBL versus 20 TBL). The key there is to make sure the hot lemon/sugar/egg mixture is cooled down to 140 or less BEFORE adding the butter. Otherwise it will not emulsify correctly and the butter will leech to the top. I've used this to stretch out number of jars...and it lasted over 6 months in the refrigerator...bottom shelf, against back wall (coldest spot).

Back