suggestions, please for a ham main dish.

Rec: Louisiana Jambalaya from Epi...I love this>>

I usually need extra chicken broth to make it moist enough. There is also a ham jambalaya recipe on epi that just uses ham, no sausage.

My time is limited right now, but do an Epi search for Pork and Ham loaf with Marmalade-mustard glaze. Really good and Emeril has a similar ham loaf that uses more ham and less pork, with a peach jam glaze,also delicious.

The Ham, Fontina and spinach Bread Pudding on Epi is really yummy. You could make Croque Monsieur sandwiches. If you need help finding any of these recipes, I will check back later.

LOUISIANA JAMBALAYA

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 red onions, chopped
5 green onions, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
1 jalapeño chili, finely chopped with seeds
1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 pound andouille sausage or hot Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 pound ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 14 1/2-ounce cans chicken broth
1 16-ounce can plum tomatoes, diced, with liquid
3 cups long-grain rice

Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add red onions, 4 green onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, jalapeño, Creole Seasoning, cayenne pepper and oregano. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Mix in tomato paste. Add sausage, ham, broth, tomatoes and rice. Bring mixture to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Garnish with remaining green onion and serve.

Serves 10.

Bon Appétit
March 1992
Stacy L. Callahan: Pasadena, California

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/1430

Cauiflower or brocolli divan

Make a divan, particularly using cauliflower, using ham instead of chicken.

REC: Granny's Ham and Potato Gratin >>

from Julia Child's The Way to Cook.

I always make this with the leftover Easter ham and we look forward to it almost more than the Easter spread itself. For me the recipe fills 2 large (10" x 15") Pyrex baking dishes. It halves easily. I don't think the gratin would freeze well but I've frozen chopped ham and the sauce just for this recipe.

"GRANNY'S HAM AND POTATO GRATIN FOR A CROWD

Here is a great crowd pleaser, as well as a deliciously economical one that needs only a copious salad, a loaf of bread, and a jug of light red wine to make the meal.

For 18 to 24 servings

10 lbs "boiling" potatoes

Sauce ingredients:
5 oz. (1-1/4 sticks) butter
1 cup flour
6-1/2 cups hot milk
Salt and pepper
A pinch of nutmeg
2 large cloves of garlic, pureed
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. thyme or sage

4 cups coarsely grated cheese--Swiss or a mixture such as Swiss, Mozzarella, Jack and/or Cheddar
1-1/2 to 2 quarts cooked ham, diced, thinly sliced or ground, (to make 6-8 cups) (You can use more, if you have it.)

Equipment:
A food processor is useful for slicing and grating; and 8-quart covered kettle for the potatoes; a heavy-bottomed 3-quart saucepan for the sauce; a buttered 6-quart baking dish about 3 inches deep for the final gratin

The potatoes:
Have ready the kettle with 4 quarts of cold water. Peel the potatoes and slice them 1/4-inch thick, dropping them into the cold water as you do so. Cover the kettle and bring to the boil. Uncover and boil slowly 3 to 4 minutes, until barely cooked through--eat several slices to check. Drain, cover the kettle again for 3 to 4 minutes to firm up the potato slices, then uncover.

The garlic-mustard sauce:
Make the classic white sauce: cook the butter and flour together in the saucepan until they foam and froth for 2 minutes without coloring; off heat pour in half of the hot milk; whisk vigorously as you pour in the rest; simmer 3 minutes, stirring. Remove from heat and whisk in the seasonings, bring to the simmer again, taste carefully, and add additional seasonings to taste.

Assembling:
Spoon a 1/16-inch layer of sauce on the bottom of the buttered baking dish. Set aside 3 cups of the sauce and 1 cup of the cheese for the topping. Now, to arrange everything in 4 layers, start with a quarter of the potatoes, then a quarter of the ham, follow by a third of the sauce and sprinkle on a third of the cheese. Continue in layers, finishing the final layer with remaining potatoes and ham; spread on the reserved 3 cups of sauce to cover completely, then the last of the cheese

Ahead-of-time note:
May be prepared a day in advance; cover when cool, and refrigerate.

Baking--about 45 minutes at 375*:
An hour before you plan to serve, preheat the oven to 375*F. Bake in the upper third level just until the potatoes and bubbling hot and the top has browned nicely.

Ahead-of-time note:
May be kept warm uncovered on a hot tray but be sure not to overheat or the gratin will dry out."

Last time I cooked Easter brunch>>

my nephews, who grow about a foot a year, kept going back for more ham and I started to get really nervous. I was saying "help yourselves" but I secretly wanted to slap their hands because there might not be enough leftover ham for this casserole! I'll need a bigger ham this spring.

Ham Impossible Pie, Ham Loaf, Ham Pasta Salad, Ham & Cheese Casserole? If...

if anyone of these sound like something you'd like, I'll post one or all. Just let me know.

I also like Cathy Z's "Ham for all seasons"

Putting it in the Faves section now:

Hey, Lisa- try making a basic white sauce,
add some parmesan, black olives, broccoli,
some of that leftover ham and some fresh basil.
Prepare cheese tortellini and mix with the
sauce.

If you want it spicier, sprinkle in some
chopped hot pepper or dry chili peppers. If you
don't want the fat of a white sauce, saute all
of the stuff in some non-fat Italian dressing
then sprinkle some parmesan over it.

Back