2 Tbs flour

1 cup heavy cream

1 can (10oz) evaporated milk

1 Tbs sugar

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1 cup cheddar cheese

1 cup gruyere cheese

1 cup mozzarella cheese (all shredded)

Macaroni - I use 5 heaping cups of penne (I use 1 lb.)

butter for baking dish - or PAM

handful of bread crumbs

Take smoked bacon, chop into one inch hunks and fry to crispy. Set aside. Use any drippings plus 2 Tbs butter to saute one small finely diced sweet onion. When onion is clear, sprinkle with 2 Tbs all-purpose flour. Make a roux and continue to fry until it turns a nutty brown color, like macadamia nuts. On the stove scald 1 cup heavy cream and 1 can of evaporated milk. Very slowly, add this milky mixture to the roux, half a cup at a time until it in incorporated and whisk until it becomes very creamy. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. To this add 1 Tbs granulated sugar, stir well. Remove from heat and add, 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese, 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese and 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. If it is too thick, gradually add some water, a few Tablespoons at a time. Add 1/4 tsp of fresh ground nutmeg. Adjust flavor with salt and pepper to taste.

Boil macaroni according to directions on pkg. and drain well. I use roughly five cups uncooked to make enough to fill a 9 x 13" baking dish. Pre-heat oven to 350*F. In a large bowl put cooked pasta and cheese sauce and mix well, pour into buttered baking dish. Sprinkle top with smoked bacon hunks and a handful of breadcrumbs. About forty minutes later, or when topping is nicely browned, voila

To Die For Mac and 3 Cheeses. I have subbed swiss cheese for the gruyere, brie for the mozzarella and Monterey Jack for the cheddar. Any combos will work. I've also been known to bury broc and cauliflower florets in the dish before baking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back