The Never Fail Poached Egg Method...and my opinion on it

marilynfl

Here's the video from Epicurious (how are they even still a thing?) for the Incredible New Way to Poach Eggs

It's cheap and easy (a phrase I call myself, as in after one glass of wine...) making it perfect for a test. So I tried it yesterday.

The method is simple: combine 1:1 ratio of water:vinegar, add eggs and let sit for 10 minutes. Have pot of gently simmering water ready. At the mark, scoop out the egg with some of the vinegar bath and lower it into the water. Set timer with your preference (runny yolks, solid yolks, etc)

It's a cheap test, but I still didn't want to waste a full cup of vinegar so I used 1/2 C of each and timed two eggs.
This worked out fine until I went to ladle out the second egg and didn't have enough liquid to float it into the scoop. See how the white dragged onto the hot pan.

Oh well.

Here are the finished results:

0E8F170B-AEB7-456F-BF29-5E83EA51F878_1_201_a copy.jpeg 07282771-B9B6-4357-82F4-A2A112A744B3_1_201_a copy.jpeg 42FA33E6-238D-4CF4-AEB7-BBB57035A35D_1_201_a copy.jpeg F7BA4BAB-2AB7-4188-B2B6-3BEC99A65A7C_1_201_a copy.jpeg

...and here are my conclusions:
Pros:
  • Simple
  • Pretty finished product
  • Did not notice a vinegar taste
Cons:
  • Has a slight rubbery texture, more noticable the longer it cooks.
So can I recommend it? Yes, with conditional statements. If you are going to use the poached egg for a fancier dish, such as Eggs Benedicts, on a salad, or over grits, then I don't think the rubber aspect would be noticeable. However, for a simple breakfast of egg & toast, then I'd skip it. I'd rather have the gentle poached texture than the appearance.

One more comment: I forgot to take a photo yesterday of the two eggs, so I made one today using a recently laid farm fresh egg (as in $7/dozen egg). Yesterday's test use Eggland eggs, and who knows when those were laid. So it's possible that the rubbery aspect I noticed yesterday was more obvious because the eggs were older. Today's wasn't as obvious. I don't know. Just wanted to put that data down.

Last edited:
Back