Thick Cut Oven Fries

monj

I tried this CI recipe mostly out of curiosity as it was so unusual. Wow, were these good!! Definitely line your sheet pan with foil for easy cleanup.
I used russets, as that's what I had on hand. Made these twice, the first time I halved the recipe and guessing my math wasn't great as I had a hard time getting the slurry to be pudding-like, but eventually got there...... They will look like something you don't want to eat before baking, but trust the process! 🤞🏻😊

Thick Cut Fries

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS

When traditional French fries are fried, water is rapidly driven out of the starch cells at the surface of the potato, leaving behind tiny cavities. It's these cavities that create a delicate, crispy crust. Since oven fries don't heat fast enough for air pockets to form, we instead coat the potatoes in a cornstarch slurry that crisps up like a deep-fried fry would. We arranged the coated planks on a rimmed baking sheet that we coated with both vegetable oil spray and vegetable oil; the former contains a surfactant called lecithin, which prevents the oil from pooling and, in turn, prevents the potatoes from sticking. Using the oil spray also allowed us to use only 3 tablespoons of oil, just enough to evenly coat the fries. Covering the baking sheet with aluminum foil for the first half of cooking ensures that the potatoes are fully tender by the time they are browned.

Thick-Cut Oven Fries

INGREDIENTS

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled (I used russets)

¾ cup water

3 tablespoons cornstarch

Salt

BEFORE YOU BEGIN

Choose potatoes that are 4 to 6 inches in length to ensure well-proportioned fries. Trimming thin slices from the ends of the potatoes in step 2 ensures that each fry has two flat surfaces for even browning. This recipe's success is dependent on a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet that will not warp in the heat of the oven. Spraying the sheet with vegetable oil spray will help the oil spread evenly and prevent sticking. The rate at which the potatoes brown is dependent on your baking sheet and oven. After removing the foil from the baking sheet in step 5, monitor the color of the potatoes carefully to prevent scorching.

INSTRUCTIONS

Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Generously spray rimmed baking sheet with vegetable oil spray. Pour oil into prepared sheet and tilt sheet until surface is evenly coated with oil.

Halve potatoes lengthwise and turn halves cut sides down on cutting board. Trim thin slice from both long sides of each potato half; discard trimmings. Slice potatoes lengthwise into ⅓- to ½-inch-thick planks.

Combine water and cornstarch in large bowl, making sure no lumps of cornstarch remain on bottom of bowl. Microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until mixture begins to thicken, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from microwave and continue to stir until mixture thickens to pudding-like consistency. (If necessary, add up to 2 tablespoons water to achieve correct consistency.)

Transfer potatoes to bowl with cornstarch mixture and toss until each plank is evenly coated. Arrange planks on prepared sheet, leaving small gaps between planks. (Some cornstarch mixture will remain in bowl.) Cover sheet tightly with lightly greased aluminum foil and bake for 12 minutes.

Remove foil from sheet and bake until bottom of each fry is golden brown, 10 to 18 minutes. Remove sheet from oven and, using thin metal spatula, carefully flip each fry. Return sheet to oven and continue to bake until second sides are golden brown, 10 to 18 minutes longer. Sprinkle fries with ½ teaspoon salt. Using spatula, carefully toss fries to distribute salt. Transfer fries to paper towel–lined plate and season with salt to taste. Serve.

This method is good to know. I have tried the cornstarch idea but it did not use this process. Didn't like it; will try again this way. Thanks for posting.

Thanks again...tried this last night. My mouth is still burnt from my inability to stop eating them right out of the pan. It worked for me too. Because I overdid the coating, mine actually had a major crust on them, which I really enjoyed. The only thing is that they stuck to the pan and some crust was lost. I was reluctant to use Teflon at that high temp; so next time I will try some nonstick foil. I ground some salt/Merken over them at the end and ate 2 large potatoes by myself, all by myself.

Poor mouth

I'm so glad you enjoyed them. They are addictive! I used the 3 tablespoons of oil on a foil lined light color baking sheet. Had no issues with sticking, but I'm sure non-stick foil will do the trick. Hope your tongue has recovered. :)

Okay...I jumped on this with two size 7.5 feet. These were my issues:

1. Bought a bag of organic Yukon Golds and at least 80% had a greenish tinge to the skin. Is that normal?
2. The largest Yukon was 4" Others were 3" or smaller...so where did CI find 4" to 6" Yukons? I used a 3" (least greenish) and cut 6 1/2" slabs from that, heeding Marg CDN's warning of potential gluttony.
3. I wasn't about to make 2 pounds of potatoes (CI recipe serves TWO...really? One pound per person?) so I looked for a clone recipe because I wanted to see a photo of the slurry thickness. Found one using 1.5 TBL of cornstarch to 1/3 C water. Heated it and ended up with--not a white creamy-looking thick cream--but a clear, thick, gelatinous wallpaper paste. Only then did I go back to the original CI recipe and see their ratio was 3 TBL of cornstarch to 3/4 C of water. So the clone didn't have the ratio correct to begin with. Added more water until I could at least submerge the potato slabs in without them laying on the top...like tourist bobbing in the Dead Sea, unable to sink.
3. Lined the pan with non-stick foil, spritzed with Pam, then oil. The slurry was still very goopy but I used it anyway. This is the point where I should have paid more attention to the timing. I missed the whole "remove the foil and bake for another 12 minutes" step when estimating the finish time. I was making CI's NY strip steak using the 2 minute flip method and sauteed mushrooms and onions. This meant the steak was done at least 15 minutes before the potatoes.

But on the whole, issues aside, this is a great recipe. I pierced the potatoes to test them and they were completely tender inside, while crispy on the outside. I think I could have left them in the oven to get a little browner, but my steak (it's blood donation time so iron is my excuse for a steak) was getting colder by the minute.

The first image is for my 21-year old nephews who are both getting into cooking. I gave them the CI 2-minute flip method for chops and steaks, but wanted to show the Thermapen I use.

thermo pen.jpg

If you look closely at the potatoes, you can see the lacey fringe of cornstarch around the edges of the potatoes.
Thick Cut potato.jpg

I would really like to figure out if you can bake a large quantity of these to a certain point and then finish them off right before dinner. There was too much stove time if I wanted to serve a large batch to guests.

This is a keeper. Thanks, monj.

Last edited:
I would bet that you could finish them almost completely and just keep them warm, maybe on a rack in the oven. I followed the times and temps and they were well-cooked.

Okay...I jumped on this with two size 7.5 feet. Here were my issues:

1. Bought a bag of organic Yukon Golds and at least 80% had a greenish tinge to the skin. Is that normal?
2. The largest Yukon was 4" Others were 3" or smaller...so where did CI find 4" to 6" Yukons? I used a 3" (least greenish) and cut 6 1/2" slabs from that, heeding Marg CDN's warning of potential gluttony.
3. I wasn't about to make 2 pounds of potatoes (CI recipe serves TWO...really? One pound per person?) so I looked for a clone recipe because I wanted to see a photo of the slurry thickness. Found one using 1.5 TBL of cornstarch to 1/3 C water. Heated it and ended up with--not a white creamy-looking thick cream--but a clear, thick, gelatinous wallpaper paste. Only then did I go back to the original CI recipe and see their ratio was 3 TBL of cornstarch to 3/4 C of water. So the clone didn't have the ratio correct to begin with. Added more water until I could at least submerge the potato slabs in without them laying on the top...like tourist bobbing in the Dead Sea, unable to sink.
3. Lined the pan with non-stick foil, spritzed with Pam, then oil. The slurry was still very goopy but I used it anyway. This is the point where I should have paid more attention to the timing. I missed the whole "remove the foil and bake for another 12 minutes" step when estimating the finish time. I was making CI's NY strip steak using the 2 minute flip method and sauteed mushrooms and onions. This meant the steak was done at least 15 minutes before the potatoes.

But on the whole, issues aside, this is a great recipe. I pierced the potatoes to test them and they were completely tender inside, while crispy on the outside. I think I could have left them in the oven to get a little browner, but my steak (it's blood donation time so iron is my excuse for a steak) was getting colder by the minute.

The first image is for my 21-year old nephews who are both getting into cooking. I gave them the CI 2-minute flip method for chops and steaks, but wanted to show the Thermapen I use.

View attachment 2665

If you look closely at the potatoes, you can see the lacey fringe of cornstarch around the edges of the potatoes.
View attachment 2666

I would really like to figure out if you can bake a large quantity of these to a certain point and then finish them off right before dinner. There was too much stove time if I wanted to serve a large batch to guests.

I was wondering the same about make ahead after making them for the first time. (BTW, had the same experience you had trying to halve the slurry recipe the first time I made them, thick paste, then kept adding water to get to pudding-like) Then decided second time making I would just make the full cornstarch recipe and toss whatever was leftover. I used russets both times.
I digress. In the comments someone asked if they can sit for an hour on the tray and CI came back said yes, and the member also returned to say they did so successfully. Definitely a winner--so glad you enjoyed Marilyn.

Okay...I jumped on this with two size 7.5 feet. These were my issues:

View attachment 2665

View attachment 2666

I have become a bit concerned about all the green in/on potatoes. I haven't seen it before this past year or so but it now seems as though all potatoes have it. There are warnings about green potatoes but I just peel it away and am still living to yap about it. I don't notice any difference in performance but with so many warnings, why is this being allowed to happen??? (oh, of course, it is somehow the almighty buck again) It is apparently an overabundance of chlorophyll and safe if cut away.

I have become a bit concerned about all the green in/on potatoes. I haven't seen it before this past year or so but it now seems as though all potatoes have it. There are warnings about green potatoes but I just peel it away and am still living to yap about it. I don't notice any difference in performance but with so many warnings, why is this being allowed to happen??? (oh, of course, it is somehow the almighty buck again) It is apparently an overabundance of chlorophyll and safe if cut away.
it’s caused by light exposure, either by planting too shallow or not being stored in complete darkness. (my favorite gardening YouTube video gardener just covered this)

Here’s what Purdue University says about it.

“Chlorophyll itself is not toxic; however, another response of the potato tuber to light exposure is increased production of a colorless alkaloid called solanine.

Consuming a large quantity of solanine can cause illness, or even death in extreme cases. However, most people are not likely to eat enough of the affected tissue to cause illness, because of solanine’s bitter taste.

The highest concentration of solanine is in the skin of the potato; removing the green portion will also remove most of the toxin. Sprouts of the eyes are also high in solanine and should be removed before cooking.

Potatoes will turn green when growing too close to the soil surface, as well as when stored under even low light conditions — thus, the recommendations to mound potato plants in the garden and store harvested potatoes in complete darkness.

The next time you see a green potato, be thankful for that color change. It’s warning you of the presence of toxic solanine.”

Ah...good to know! Friday I bought a bag of Yukons at Trader Joes and they are all golden (still less than 4" diameter though) and tossed the remaining 3 pounds of greenish ones out in the field.

They just looked wrong.

it’s caused by light exposure, either by planting too shallow or not being stored in complete darkness. (my favorite gardening YouTube video gardener just covered this)

Here’s what Purdue University says about it.

“Chlorophyll itself is not toxic; however, another response of the potato tuber to light exposure is increased production of a colorless alkaloid called solanine.

Consuming a large quantity of solanine can cause illness, or even death in extreme cases. However, most people are not likely to eat enough of the affected tissue to cause illness, because of solanine’s bitter taste.

The highest concentration of solanine is in the skin of the potato; removing the green portion will also remove most of the toxin. Sprouts of the eyes are also high in solanine and should be removed before cooking.

Potatoes will turn green when growing too close to the soil surface, as well as when stored under even low light conditions — thus, the recommendations to mound potato plants in the garden and store harvested potatoes in complete darkness.

The next time you see a green potato, be thankful for that color change. It’s warning you of the presence of toxic solanine.”
I think that's the report I read as well. And now I am wondering if my problem is that I store them in the light (on the balcony in a plastic tub). Of course, I knew better, but I have not seen this green before in such abundance, but I don't have a cellar or a large enough crisper for my enormous consumption of potaotes. They are green when I buy them but I am going to try storing them in a light-proof container to see if the colour minimizes.

Back