This BH&G beet and onion jam galette was very tasty. However, since I'm part Ukrainian,

marilynfl

Polish, Serbian and German, you could probably find the words BEET and ONION spelled out in my DNA gene sequencing.

On the plus side:

*taste

*ease of putting it together once components are made

*can be served hot or warm (I haven't tried it cold)

On the down side:

*appearance

*time to prep ingredients (if making onion jam from scratch plus I roasted my beets first)

I made everything the night before. Who knew onion jam was so good? Certainly not me, but I do now. Made the jam, dough and roasted the beets.

Yesterday, I turned on the oven to preheat and took the prepped dough from the refrigerator (rolled out and sandwiched between parchment). Once it softened a bit, I slide the parchment onto a cookie sheet and started layering the galette filling. Onions, Alouette herb cheese, beets and then into the oven to bake.

I was a bit disappointed that the crust came out so pale...not golden like the photo. Also, I used the fresh thyme in the onion jam and didn't have any left to put on top. Also I forgot to spread a bit of the jam and walnuts on top so the finished galette looks a bit wan. I checked but had no heavy cream, which I usually brush on pastry crust before baking. I think that would have helped the coloring and feel I can improve its appearance next time.

PS: Added the following day: I just had a reheated piece and realized what was bugging me: the middle cheese layer is a bit too dry. Today it was definitely too dry (second heating) but I remember now that I noticed "something" yesterday at dinner but wasn't able to nail it down.

It's the cheese layer. Alouette was smeared from the carton, coddled between the onion layer and the beet layer. I think the heating process is drying it out because it's fine right out of the tub. Have to figure out what to add to make it moister after it's baked. Maybe some heavy cream?

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/beet-and-onion-jam-galette/

https://recipeswap.org/fun/wp-content/uploads/swap-photos/beet-pie.jpg

I was looking for the onion jam recipe

since you waxed so eloquent over it.

Would you share the recipe that you used?

I think it's lovely. And such a unique idea. I used to bring jars of onion jam back from France and

discovered lots of ways to use it. Not this one though.

I must try this in the winter.

And maybe I'll open your beautiful photo as I munch on it.

Thank you M

ah...okay...I looked at three different recipe and morphed them to one.

First off, let me admit to laziness as I searched for "onion jam" at my local store before making my own. Stonewall Kitchen had a Roasted Garlic Onion Jam, but on appearance, it looked less "oniony" and more...filler stuff (Roasted Garlic and Onions, Pure Cane Sugar, Balsamic Vinegar, White Vinegar, Fruit Pectin, Citric Acid, Spices). In retrospect, that may be why the recipe says to brush on more jam at the end. Mine was so jam-packed (ha!) with onions that there wasn't much jelly holding it together.

Then I tried searching for recipes. Since I'm now paying for NYTimes, I checked there first. Their "bacon onion jam" sounded good:

¾ pound slab bacon, diced into cubes
4 medium-size white or Spanish onions, peeled and diced
1 ½ teaspoons mustard seed
2 ½ tablespoons dark brown sugar
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

But I wanted to keep this appetizer vegetarian, which ix-nayed the bacon, basically the star of that dish.

Food and Wine had the next one I considered:

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 large sweet onions, cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 parsley sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 rosemary sprig
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
Salt

The ONE CUP of sugar stopped me there.

Then I reviewed "What Katie Ate" Caramelized onion jam
4 large onions
2 TBL olive oil
3 TBL balsamic vinegar
1.5 TBL brown sugar

and realized that was the ratio I wanted. Lots of onions, some vinegar and some sugar.

Here's what I used:
2 large (3.5" diam) onions, NOT SWEET, not VIDALIA, sliced
2 TBL olive oil
1/4 C light brown sugar
1/4 C "Monari Federzoni" aged balsamic vinegar Modena (I'm putting all that in because some balsamic are thin and insipid. This one isn't.
fresh thyme
fresh rosemary

I cooked the onions in olive oil in a lined enamel pan. High heat for 15 minutes to soften, then lower heat for 45 minutes. Then add the vinegar and sugar and continue cooking another 30 minutes until it reduces down quite a bit. At that point, I tasted it and added just a tiny drizzle of agave syrup for a touch more sweetness. Oh, I also added a TBL of fresh thyme leaves and 4" branch of rosemary. And some kosher salt and black pepper.

Made 2 dense cups, packed into two 1-C canning jars.

Took about 1.5 hours from start to finish, but I was also roasting the beets and walnuts and then making the dough during that time. Oh, and watching Stranger Things.

https://www.stonewallkitchen.com/roasted-garlic-onion-jam-101306.html

This last image gave me the giggles...

I was watching Pati Jinich the other night and she was chopping onions.
She said she had seen goggles for wearing while doing this, but she eschewed them because "we all need a good cry once in a while"!

Thanks much for the recipe. I will let you know if I make it!

I wonder if your roasting the beets first is what has made it "dry". Recipe says that the

Juices should be bubbling. Although I LOVE roasted beets and would think it would add to the flavor.
I suppose you could add some sour cream to the cheese to make it a little more moist--or make your own Boursin.

Back