To inject...or not to inject?

marilynfl

My decades-old baster finally gave up the (atrophied) ghost so I bought a Farberware turkey package on sale for $5. It included a baster, pins, string and an injector with 2 needles. Since I'm not about to start shooting heroin at this stage of my life, I'm pondering shooting up Mr. T. On the one hand (wing?) I have nothing to lose since my turkeys turn out lousy anyway. On the other hand...well, I don't have a good reason and that's why I'm here, asking for advice.

The majority of Internet posts refer to injecting when deep-frying. I'm not going that route.

I'm looking for T&T advice on whether this is a good idea or a "just give in to the reality" idea.

Thanks.

I was lamenting on my turkey recently. I did everything I should do to keep it moist, it was not overcooked and he was a fairly good quality tyke. But dry. It made good enchiladas but what a waste. So I had a chat with myself about injected turkeys. I think I bought one once, in my entire existence so just don't know.

I wonder if you could just do half of Mr. T. and leave his remainder without. And then let us know if there is an appreciable difference. I certainly would be interested.

oh my gosh, that is SUCH a good idea. I've got guests and one of them is also an engineer so "testing" this method is brilliant! Thanks, M. Will keep you posted...I was considering a butter/herb injection (street name Butt)

Oh the test sounds like fun, please keep us posted!

I have a baster with injection attachment, but never used it. Honestly, I’ve always just used the BH&G recipe and it’s always come out good, so never became more adventurous. I’ve fully stopped basting roast chicken ages ago, because it never made much difference so stopped fussing with doing it (though always do with turkeys).

@marg-cdn2 have you tried baking your turkey upside down so that the breast is on the bottom? The theory is that this has a double benefit of not over-cooking the dark meat and that the dark meat juices trickle down into the breast meat which can otherwise tend to dry out. I know this is not as popular any more but brining will definitely help to keep your turkey more moist. Something else you can do is to put fruit/vegetables in the cavity that will release moisture. Keeping in mind that over the years I've done many variations of turkey including traditional, deep fried, cajun, mexican... Off the top of my head, things that I've stuffed in there include: apples, oranges, limes, whole onions, halved onions, garlic cloves, various peppers, celery, kitchen sink. If you are going strictly traditional then I'd recommend apple, onion and celery along with your choice of aromatics.

I used to do the upside down thing with chicken and finally decided it made too minimal a difference. My turkeys have always been too huge to allow that. And, I always do a chicken with a lemon inside and do agree that makes it very moist. Usually half a lemon. Love the flavour as well as I normally slip in some rosemary branches. And I always brine a turkey cuz my mom did. She also felt that it reduced any bloody flavour. But the idea of sticking some celery and onion inside the turkey is definitely going to be tried next. I always put onion and celery in the stuffing and I am a traditionalist with turkeys but I'm sure I could find a corner or 2 for a little extra juicy bits.

Good idea. Thank you.

I have been realizing lately, that I just can't ever cook the same thing twice the same way. Everything has to be an experiment. I think it's an illness. I'm like that with mechanical bits too. I take things apart to find out how they work.

We put the bread stuffing IN the turkey so it goes into the meat too. I think it is Ina who has the recipe of putting a LOT of lemons in the chicken cavity and it is SO good.

I tried the injector once, didn't notice much difference. I always brine my turkey and it comes out moist every time. The molasses gives the turkey a light tan, kinda like he went to the tanning salon before his oven vacation--just a head start. :) I do that on Tuesday, overnight til Wednesday, then take it out and leave it in the fridge uncovered to dry the skin out a bit.

Then I've been using the Martha Stewart cheesecloth method for more than 15, sage. years. https://www.marthastewart.com/353184/perfect-roast-turkey. Stuff the cavity with onions, celery and carrots, thyme

Turkey Brine:

18-lb Turkey, remove giblets

7 Quarts water – or enough to cover the turkey in the bag

2 cups coarse sea salt (about 9 oz)

1 cup brown sugar

1 C molasses

2 bunches fresh thyme

1 bunch fresh sage

Line a large container with 2-30 Gal plastic bags, one inside the other.

Rinse turkey inside and out. Place turkey in plastic–lined bowl.

In a large pot, combine water, salt, sugar, molasses, 1 bunch thyme and ½ bunch sage.Heat and stir until salt dissolves. Cool completely. (I use less of the water so it cools sooner, then add the rest of cool water.Pour mixture over turkey. Gather tops of bags together and press out any trapped air.Seal bags and refrigerate turkey for up to 24 hours.

Back