Tourte Aux Pommes De Terre (French Potato Pie ~ ATK)

marilynfl

Crust:
20 tablespoons (2½ sticks) unsalted butter, chilled, divided (16 TBL cubed + 4 TBL shredded/frozen)
2 ½ cups (12½ ounces) all-purpose flour, divided (1.5 C + 1 C)
1 teaspoon table salt
½ cup ice water, divided (1/4 C + 1/4 C)

Filling:
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced crosswise 1⁄8 inch thick
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ¼ cups heavy cream
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, halved and sliced thin
1 ½ teaspoons table salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

1 egg, lightly beaten

Marilyn's Note:
Watched ATK make this on my PBS station and wrote out the ingredients and instructions. Then I found someone had posted the ingredients, but not the steps. I'm posting here because I've never seen pie dough prepared like this before. You process 60% of the flour with 80% of the butter until it is a dough ball. Basically, you're coating all that flour with fat. Then you break that dough up into gumball size pieces, add the remaining 40% of flour, pulse, remove to a bowl, add frozen butter and drizzle in the water in two steps, mixing with a spatula. So the only flour that will directly interact with water to form gluten will be the last addition.

Put 1.5 C flour in food process with salt. Blend for 3 seconds.
Add 16 TBL of chilled butter cubes.
Process for 40-50 seconds, until a large ball of dough is formed.

Break that up into 1" chunks, add remaining flour and pulse 4-5 times.
Remove to bowl add frozen butter then add ice water in 2 steps.
It will be a wet-ish dough, but hydrates as it is refrigerated (2 hr min up to 48 hours).
Divide dough into two equal pieces and wrap TIGHTLY, compressing it into a 5"circle. Chill.

Filling:
Slice onions thin and add salt. Let sit for 10 minutes minimum.
Slice the potatoes and par-boil for 1 min in 4 quarts of boiling water + 1/2 tsp baking soda. Drain and return to pot. Add cream, garlic, nutmeg, onions, (+ any salty liquid) and pepper. Bring to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Let cool.

Dust counter with flour, add 1 disc of dough and roll to 12" circle. Place in 9" pie pan.
Add 2 TBL minced parsley to cool potatoes and scrap into pie shell. Level it out so there are no pockets of air.
Roll out top crust to 12", cut 1/2" circle in middle for steam to escape (he used a pastry tip), cover pie, crimp edges.
Beat egg and brush all surfaces.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Bake 18-20 minutes.
Lower temp to 325 and bake 30-40 minutes

Let cool at least 30 minutes.

1697039865234.png

Last edited:
Oh...how did you get this? I saw it, but it required a CI login...that's why I watched/manually copied it from PBS.

Thank you. What an interesting pastry. I am happy just to watch someone else make it, and I'm not sure I deserve to eat it, but perhaps just a small amount would not invite too much guilt.

Oh...how did you get this? I saw it, but it required a CI login...that's why I watched/manually copied it from PBS.
Just keep scrolling in your search, someone usually posts these. Sometimes It’s atk themselves, sometimes you can get the video, but not the recipe. Don’t put the site, just the recipe title in your first search as it might come up as atk, cooks country or ci.

I kept thinking I have eaten this pie. So I went searching in my French cookbook on potatoes and found a similar recipe using apples and potatoes. It's a dessert. Not the one I have eaten though.

Back