Vinaterta

Marg CDN

Does anyone else like this? I learned to love it when I was a kid but I can't find anyone now who likes it. I hate eating these things all by my (ever-enlarging) self. I don't understand why people don't care for it.

I always have prunes left over from Chicken Marbella.

Whoops I spelled it incorrectly. Vinerterta

I had never heard of it, so I had to do a quick search.
It would be something I would eat, not sure how much though, so I wouldn't make it.

I'm with Judy--I looked Vinarterta up and found Martha Stewart's recipe. I would certainly like to taste it, but doubt I would make any just for myself. How interesting that this cake will last as long as 3 months at room temperature just wrapped in plastic.

Ha, me too! I had to look up Vinerterta as well, but I've been having to look up a lot of recipes lately. More and more cookbooks are using African, Middle Eastern and Asian terms and ingredients in the recipes.

North Carolina (well, this whole NC/TN/Appalachian area) have a similar cake called an Apple Stack Cake. It uses dried apple chunks so it can be made year round.

PS: I was having soup at a local restaurant and the waitress brought out a cake box for another customer. They had bought an entire Apple Stack cake "to go." It cost $56.

I almost choked on my croutons.

Last edited:
Ha, me too! I had to look Vinerterta up, but lately, I've been having to look up a lot of recipes. More and more cookbooks are using African, Middle Eastern and Asian terms and ingredients in the recipes.

North Carolina (well, this whole NC/TN/Appalachian area) have a similar cake called an Apple Stack Cake. It uses dried apple chunks so it can be made year round.

PS: I was having soup at a local restaurant and the waitress brought out a cake box for another customer. They had bought an entire Apple Stack cake "to go." It cost $56.

I live in big pear/peach/apple country and still have to pay $1.50 for one pear. The cost of that cake does not surprise me now. Is everything strangely overpriced in US cities as well?

I’m seeing empty grocery shelves again on certain items at Walmarts:

No cauliflower.

Was looking for Martinelli’s effervescent Apple Cider. I make a killer cocktail in the fall with that and my reduced apple cider, OJ, Wild Turkey and apple cider vinegar. None there.

Only a few bags of pure cane sugar. But an entire pallet of “pure sugar” Walmart brand.

No organic dried oregano.

It was a frustrating trip, especially when I was using a shopping list.

Ha, me too! I had to look Vinerterta up, but lately, I've been having to look up a lot of recipes. More and more cookbooks are using African, Middle Eastern and Asian terms and ingredients in the recipes.

Marilyn, that is not surprising at all IMO--your cakes would easily sell for that.
We have a fine dining restaurant at the beach that serves an incredible caramel cake. A friend who also has a place there gets one of their cakes when she is entertaining. I am sure it costs every penny of that and more.
What restaurant was it, by the way?

I live in big pear/peach/apple country and still have to pay $1.50 for one pear. The cost of that cake does not surprise me now. Is everything strangely overpriced in US cities as well?

My niece has a large pear orchard and they lost their entire crop this year to an early unexpected freeze.

I’m seeing empty grocery shelves again on certain items at Walmarts:

No cauliflower.

Was looking for Martinelli’s effervescent Apple Cider. I make a killer cocktail in the fall with that and my reduced apple cider, OJ, Wild Turkey and apple cider vinegar. None there.

Only a few bags of pure cane sugar. But an entire pallet of “pure sugar” Walmart brand.

No organic dried oregano.

It was a frustrating trip, especially when I was using a shopping list.

I’m seeing lots missing in my WM checkout as well, enough to not even go there. The more expensive stores seem better stocked. 😞

I had no idea that my link was unsuccessful. I'm sorry. I have been operating on 1/8 speed for the past week. Thank you for your comments.https://www.cbc.ca/life/greatcanadianbakingshow/recipes/manitoba-vinarterta-1.6292553
Ooh, it’s a looker, that’s for sure. I’d think you could half it or ever quarter it, then bake in a smaller pan. I often “make” smaller pan sizes by purchasing foil pans and refolding them into a size I want. I then wash to reuse vs toss. I have some I’ve been using since, dare I say it?, 1970s that are still going strong.

Ooh, it’s a looker, that’s for sure. I’d think you could half it or ever quarter it, then bake in a smaller pan. I often “make” smaller pan sizes by purchasing foil pans and refolding them into a size I want. I then wash to reuse vs toss. I have some I’ve been using since, dare I say it?, 1970s that are still going strong.
I still have a couple of the paper loaf pans that Marilyn snagged for us. Good idea.

Back