What's old is new again

earnie

I notice the trend that the young are bringing back the "old" arts. They are learning to crochet, knit, quilt, cook, etc. So what are the latest retro ideas?

Earnie/Tn woman

Earnie, a couple of the Mom's of the kids in my son's second grade class...

...taught the entire class to KNIT!

That was last year, but it has stuck. My son knits!

When the kids in his class would finish their busy work, they would all break our the skeins and knit. Not run for the paint easel, or the lego table... Noooooo. You could go to the class during the day and catch 4 or 5 of them knitting!

I love it.

Michael

I love it, toooo! smileys/smile.gif BTW, have him knit you some cotton dish cloths......

I just bought some from a woman in our town who makes them. I haven't had any of those in years! They're knitted of cotton yarn and are sooo great! They scrub great and can be bleached. They last for years! (they used to be all the rage, so talking about retro! smileys/smile.gif

No kidding... I saw a guy on campus (20 or 21) walking across campus just yesterday

knitting while he walked! I can barely talk and walk at the same time, and as for knitting... are you kidding me? At my house, if a button falls off of a shirt I consider it ruined!

Yes, trying to find a quilt rack over the holidays for my ex MIL was a nightmare...BB&B ended up

having one of their managers on East coast of FL bring one here to Naples...it was VERY very nice of them...I contacted their corporate HQ to let them know how much it meant to me that they went to such lengths and she was so thrilled with it; she makes the most beautiful quilts.

Isn't it amazing what young kids are capable of?? When my son was in first grade...

I helped the class when they made manju. Manju is a Japanese pastry - you make a flaky dough, pat it out in your hand, put a blob of azuki (a sweetened bean paste), and enclose the bean paste and bake it.

When teacher told us we were helping them make manju, I thought NO WAY! But they did it - each one had their own little manju, baked in the teacher's countertop convection oven, on little squares on parchment with their name on it, so they knew exactly which one was theirs!

Another day, I gave them a little sushi making class, and they all rolled their own little maki sushi.

I loved that teacher - she believed the cooking classes taught them so many things - how to follow directions, to recognize the fractions in the measurements, etc. Plus they had so much fun!

Have to add: Soap Making...

I've been making soaps (and various other related lotions, lip balms, bath bombs, etc.) for about 10 years now. I make about 60 lbs./year for our house and to share with friends. Haven't used commercial soap since then and the old winter dry & itchy skin problems are a quaint vague memory. I can't even imagine ever going back to commercial soap.

So true! Home made soaps are so popular these days.

Our craft fairs have lots of soap vendors. I particularly like the goats milk soaps.

Back