Why do I made such terrible quiche?

cynupstateny

Made 2 this weekend. Both were tasty but the texture was that of scrambled eggs...kind of lumpy. I whisked the eggs and milk really well thinking maybe that was the problem. Not.

Any suggestions?

Yup, I always use half and half in my quiche, and they've never>>>>

turned outless than perfect. Why milk????

Don't know why I never thought of that! I hate using the fat free stuff in other things.

But I used 1% milk in the quiche. Thanks, Moyn, I'll try the half & half.

Cyn, I've done it with full fat & non fat half & half and they come out equally good.>>

Because of the richness in flavor of the cheese I'm using, you really don't miss the full fat flavor of the half & half. Try it & let me know.
Happy Holidays!

Do you pre-bake the shell? ..

I always bake the shell at 425* with foil and beans for 10-15 minutes, then without the foil and beans for another 5.

Then I lower the heat to 375* to gently bake the filling.

If you're already doing all that then perhaps you're not adding enough liquid (Julia Child says 3 eggs blended with enough milk or cream to make 1-1/2 cups total)

Or perhaps you're pouring in too much custard. There should be just enough to cover the other ingredients.

Hope one of these ideas helps.

Hi Joe!! I don't pre-bake the shell but the crust is fine> > >

It's the filling. I usually bake at 350. I'm gonna try Moyn's suggestion and if that doesn't work, well....I like scrambled eggs, too!

Back