2023 County fair baking contest

marilynfl

Yesterday I submitted my entries for the county fair baking contest and then scurried out the door before the judging began. Entries are judged, then cut up and sold to the public to raise money for local youth groups. I bake because it's for a good cause and to satisfy my baking fix, but that doesn't mean I want to sit there and watch my entries lose.

Here are my five entries:

Bourbon Apple Bundt Cake
Bourbon Apple cake.jpg

Cherry Jam Star (yeast category)
Cherry Jam Cake.jpg

Halvah Tea Cake (GF) (quick bread category)
Halvah Tea Cake.jpg

Hazelnut Thumbprints (cookies/brownie category)
Hazelnut Thumbprint.jpg

Double Crust Apple Pie
Apple Pie.jpg

Even if you don't want to sit there and watch the judging, please update us to let us know because surely you had a winner or two there. They all look scrumptious.

Your entry number is your phone number. Since I’ve not heard anything, I have to assume none of mine won any ribbons.

Maybe next year I’ll just donate the cash I spent on ingredients.

Yesterday I submitted my entries for the county fair baking contest and then scurried out the door before the judging began. Entries are judged, then cut up and sold to the public to raise money for local youth groups. I bake because it's for a good cause and to satisfy my baking fix, but that doesn't mean I want to sit there and watch my entries lose.

Here are my five entries:

Bourbon Apple Bundt Cake
View attachment 2499

Cherry Jam Star (yeast category)
View attachment 2500

Halvah Tea Cake (GF) (quick bread category)
View attachment 2501

Hazelnut Thumbprints (cookies/brownie category)
View attachment 2502

Double Crust Apple Pie
View attachment 2503
All gorgeous, it's hard to imagine anyone else's entries look better. I seem to remember last year, some boxed cake-like entries scored? I'd be interested in the Halvah tea cake recipe, if you can share. I love Halvah, even with all of it's calories....

monj, here is the recipe:

I had made it for my niece's wedding in a square pan, but opted for a 9" Pullman pan for the fair.
The halvah was the same pistachio version...and it was very very good.

OMGoodness! Those are incredible! You NEVER cease to amaze me. With your culinary skills and your stamina!

Back