A maple syrup question for any Canadians? Recently hubby...

orchid

was in Montreal working and I have heard that Canada is famous for their maple syrup so I asked him to bring some back. The sales lady suggested one that she grew up with and was her favorite. The beautiful bottle is in the shape of a maple leaf it says it is the Maple Syrup Institute gold medal winner. It hardly has much maple flavor, not like I'm used to anyway. This is very light in color and he said there were others that were much darker. I'm wondering if the darker ones have more of a maple flavor to them? I'm sure he'll be back up there soon so I'd like to find out if there is a different type we should try? I'll use this in baked squash or mashed sweet potatoes. It'll be perfect for that. Thanks for any info anyone has.

Hi Orchid! We love N.Y. maple syrup, live near a sugar house and can't wait for the sugaring off to

Don't know about Canada but here the rule is the darker the syrup the lower the grade. I never buy the top grade because, like you, I don't think it has much flavor. Try a darker syrup and I'm sure you'll find it more to your liking.

Trader Joe's Grade B is dark and delicious, but...

...I have had guests tell me that they prefer a lighter syrup for table use.

I also like dark beer.

Michael

I used to buy that all the time - I loved it. Unfortunately, I moved from

New York several years ago, first to FL, now I'm in NC, and neither have a Trader Joes. Not fair!!!!

Great site Meryl, lots of information. So I'm thinking that there...

isn't a difference in U.S. syrup and Canadian syrup. Am I right? Why then are they so well known for their syrup? I guess the question is, do I have the guy drag back syrup again? Lol. And also, he's in D.C. right now and can't stop talking about a supermarket called Wegmans. I went to their website and I'm insanely jealous of all you people that have that store. Thanks everyone.

Personally, I like Grade B, amber......

because it does have more flavor.
I can understand Michael's guests objecting, since the first couple of times I had real maple syrup, I didn't like it......thought it was too strong! (I got betta, as they say on Monty Python).
I used to have a free source, but that has gone away. Boohoo, but I can't complain, as I really don't use a lot of it.

Orchid, I live about 20 minutes from one of the new Wegmans.....

Almost everyone I know LOVES them. I have neighbors who will only shop there. The store is really big and they seem to have an extensive selection of everything. (Which location did your husband visit?)

That said, I have only been there once and they have been open for about a year, another location by Dulles airport has been open for a couple of years. I went for the first time this Jan, one Sat afternoon about noon. The WORST possible time for me to go. They were very busy and the shelves needed constant restocking. As a result the isles were filled with big rolling racks full of merchandise to be put on the shelves. A shopping cart could not get by one of these big racks and they were everywhere, including about 6 of them just in the produce dept. There were a number of things on my list that I was not able to find, IE fresh ricotta cheese that my local Whole Foods always has. Overall, I was not impressed and will not go out of my way to go there again. Nothing to be jealous of, just my humble opinion.

Orchid, I don't think if I've ever had Vermont Maple Syrup - I've always gotten various brands from

Canada, so I can't compare, (Actually, I don't remember trying any U.S. brands), but I would think it's more of a question of brand, grade, and individual taste rather than place of origin, but what do I know?
To answer your question as to why Canada is so well known for their syrup, it's because
they produce about 85 per cent of the world's maple syrup.

We have a sugar shack and make maple syrup every year....

The earlier syrup tends to be lighter, and as the season progresses the syrup becomes darker. The lighter syrup is almost buttery. It is wonderful on pancakes, waffles, ice cream, etc. The darker syrup has more of the traditional maple taste. It is better for cooking when you want that maple flavor. I use it to make a maple cheesecake, pies, and in savory dishes such as pumpkin soup.
We are old fashioned and use a wood fire. We try to keep the fire low enough to prevent caramelization in the syrup. I personally don't care for the caramelized flavor in maple syrup, but some of the darker syrups have been caramelized during cooking. This syrup is also better used as a cooking ingredient and can add a rich flavor.
Light Grade A syrup is usually more expensive. Grade B is often sold for commercial use.
We don't use the maple leaf shaped bottles or other fancy bottles, although they are available to syrup makers. They don't hold much syrup. It sounds like your husband purchased a light syrup that should be used as a topping. Ask him to look for darker syrup if you want more maple flavor.

Thanks for the information...the recipe I posted for Maple Vinaigrette should call for Grade B...

but I didn't know there was a difference so I left that part out. I'll look for grade B when I make it again. Unfortunately, I seem to find only Grade A in my grocer's. I love learning new stuff like this!

Grade B Pure Maple Syrup available at health food stores....

I know because I bought it to do 'The Master Cleanse'. (a cleansing fast)

Hi Barbara, he's at Dulles so he went to that one. He said on ...

Sunday it was pretty busy but he hasn't experienced the things you mentioned. I've made him into a wonderful sous chef so he enjoys going to great stores and he always knows when I can't get certain food things. One time he was in California and he bought stacks of yellow corn tortillas and brought them back for me. All I could find was white corn and they are just NOT the same. Anyway, maybe you should try it again? Maybe they were just getting their act together?

Thanks KC. I guess you're in Canada? He didn't have time to get..

out and about so he bought it at the hotel gift shop so you know how that goes. He also bought a maple butter and that too we thought just tasted sugary, no maple flavor at all. I've really gotten an education here so now we'll know what to buy. Thanks

Now I know more about this, at last. Not sure I understand what Grade B is though and why. I

almost always take a big bottle to Europe as a gift. It's so expensive here but much worse there. And waht else do people expect from Canadians...maybe igloos, but they melt enroute.

I buy grade B, I guess because of the price. It's sure fine with me.

Back