RECIPE: ? about REC: Roasted Artichoke Pesto......

RECIPE:

barbara-in-va

I am planning the menu for the next group dinner of which I am hostess. I was thinking of serving this as an appetizer on crostini, as suggested, but am not sure if I can find fresh artichokes this time of year. My question is, would it be sacrilegious to use frozen artichoke hearts? Would the recipe still turn out? (I am not suggesting canned because I don't think they would roast very well.) Your thoughts are appreciated as always!

Michael suggests that this can be used stirred into risotto or hot pasta along with some of the pasta cooking water, sear a lamb loin or piece of swordfish, smear with pesto cover with bread crumbs and finish in the oven, add a small can of white beans and puree with the artichokes serve on crostini with a slice of mozzarella.

Roasted Artichoke Pesto

Source: At Home with Michael Chiarello

1/3 C fresh lemon juice

6 med or 4 large artichokes

3/4 C extra virgin olive oil

3 large cloves garlic, quartered lengthwise

1 t finely chopped fresh thyme

1 bay leaf

finely ground sea salt, preferably gray

fresh ground black pepper

1/2 C tightly packed fresh basil leaves

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Select a non reactive bowl large enough to hold all the artichokes once they are trimmed and pour the lemon juice into it. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, bend the tough outer leaves backward until they break at the point where the tough leaf becomes part of the tender base; stop when you reach the more tender interior leaves that are at least half yellow-green. With a serrated knife, cut across the leaves at the point where the color changes from yellow-green to dark green. Trim the stem of its outer layer, then trim the base to 1-2 inches, removing any dark green bits. Quarter the artichokes lengthwise and scoop out the hairy choke. As the artichokes are trimmed, drop them into the bowl and turn to coat with the lemon juice.

When all the artichokes are trimmed, transfer them and the lemon juice to a large ovenproof skillet along with 5 T of olive oil, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, 1 t salt and 1/4 t pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat, tossing to coat the artichokes with the seasonings, cover with aluminum foil, transfer to the oven and cook until the artichokes are browned in spots and tender when pierced, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the artichokes cool in the liquid.

Remove the bay leaf and discard. Transfer the contents of the skillet to a food processor and process until completely smooth. Add the remaining 3 T olive oil and the basil and again process until smooth.

Taste and adjust the seasoning. Spoon into a small bowl and serve.

Makes about 2C.

Barbara, I think frozen would be fine....I have often substituted them for the "real thing" (m)

I completely agree re: canned; especially with a pesto (You do not want it to taste tinny (Is that a word???)

The recipe sounds wonderful! At our Trader Joes you can buy them frozen, which is exactly what I would use...

I have used the frozen many times...(Honestly, I do not think you would know the difference, especially with all of the other flavors!)

What else will you be serving???

Regards,
Barb

Barb, thanks for the vote of reassurance in using frozen hearts.....

I practiced the recipe last night on DH. I did find beautiful jumbo artichokes at Wegmans yesterday. Unfortunately not the $1 each that Lin can get! These were 2/$5 but they were very fresh and very big. I just know that when I need them for the dinner I won't be able to find fresh ones--that is always my luck!

They pesto is WONDERFUL! I added the can of beans to the puree and served it on toasted baguette that I painted with oil from my jar of roasted garlic. I could have skipped dinner and just eaten the dip. And, as far as dips go it is not laden with fat.

Still working on the rest of the menu. Think the other appetizer may be Olga D's Nurnberg Filled Cheese Rounds. My guests are a group of very simple tastes, mushrooms and nuts are out of their range........ So I am thinking of roasting a couple of chickens, vertical style. That's as far as I have gotten!

Thanks again for confirming that frozen would be okay!
Barbara

Back