All clad D5 discontinued? I need a wedding gift pan…

mariadnoca

I love my 4 qt “every day” pan with two looped handles. I cook nearly everything on the stove top with it and I love that it goes directly into the oven. Mine is Cuisinart and I gift it often because it’s a good pan and it’s not expensive. (My Nephew in law chef who has worked in three star restaurants told me the only reason to get all clad was because how much it gets banged around in a restaurant kitchen, home cooks don’t really need how heavy duty some of it is.) However my nephew, who does like to cook, the one getting married, mentioned he is so hard on pans that he’s ruined Cuisinart pans. (This has me wondering what could he be doing, but that’s a thought for another day…)

So this brings me to trying to buy the all clad version of my favorite pan. All Clad d5 Stainless-Steel All-In-One Pan, but it’s out of stock at all the usual places. Then I read the whole d5 line is discontinued. What’s an auntie with a passion for the type/style of pan she gifts to do? The wedding is in May.

The last two days I've been getting email for the All Clad VIP Factory Seconds Event. The site is: https://homeandcooksales.com/

Also All Clad is made in the USA. Pretty sure all the Cuisinart stuff is made in China. Even if one isn't patriotic the last couple of years should be emphasizing to people that we need to get more of our products made in the USA or at least in North America where the global supply chain won't be an issue.

Yes, for a wedding gift I definitely wanted all clad and my Cuisinart is decades old, so I don’t know where it was made, got back in the time when I wasn’t noticing those things as much. I do today.

Unfortunately, I can’t open that link without first giving them my email and agreeing to their terms and conditions. ☹️

I don’t think it’s a supply chain issue, I read the entire d5 line has been discontinued, but I don’t see what, if anything they are replacing it with. I really like the two handle loop style, so was trying for that and not seeing anything.

Also, in the olden days (last time I looked at cookware) all clad was heavy duty cookware. My neighbor bought some version of it that is zero different than my Cuisinart. Meaning it is tri-ply on the bottom, but it is not up the sides. I’d not seen that in the past. Since I watch her kids often I’ve cooked on it often and it is absolutely no different than the Cuisinart in use, which is kind of heartbreaking considering the price. I was thinking D5 would be the heavy duty version? Dang, this is confusing.

I gave that cuisinart pan to all my kids and nieces when it came out.

All Clad's top lines are famous for their being really "clad" on bottom AND sides. The cuisinart pan has a clad bottom--aluminum core with stainless inside and bottom which makes for even heating without hot spots. I'm not even sure that the D5 line would be clad up the sides for the every day pan.

Here is an All Clad D3 and it is also now made with the sandwich bottom. But it's a good looking pan. It would be great as a risotto pan or a braiser or anything else. It's about $180.

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/all-clad-d3-curated-4-quart-sauteuse-pan-with-lid/s516061?localedetail=US&storeid=861&a=1552&campaignid=10461646731&adgroupid=103999388619&targetid=pla-297349054486&pla_sku=516061&pcat=HSW&ag=adult&gclid=CjwKCAjwur-SBhB6EiwA5sKtjh4fnXBnw0KQ6Q-9TlczlrrfP75LlmUpRimfRnm1h2gvwRFrbLZJ-xoC-TUQAvD_BwE

If you go to Amazon there are many pans about half that or less, but this Tramontina is a good brand

https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-pan-tpc-6qt-Braiser/dp/B07FY184CR/ref=sr_1_12?crid=1YHNGNFHAR7AS&keywords=everyday+pan+tramontina&qid=1649413520&sprefix=everyday+pan+tramontina%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-12

And while this may not be what you want All Clad isn't made exclusively in the US any more.

https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Nonstick-Anodized-Everyday-Potholders/dp/B0979D1Q2B/ref=sr_1_2?gclid=CjwKCAjwur-SBhB6EiwA5sKtjmVRlafU8PKXr-DnTnu7mcggg45BK-ppuDcbO0NfUKYCVMc595G4WxoC6DEQAvD_BwE&hvadid=409953059256&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009978&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12533261355729304906&hvtargid=kwd-751004697&hydadcr=4694_11139759&keywords=all+clad+everyday+pan&qid=1649418108&sr=8-2

I don't know why these picturea come up. Thought it would just be the link.

Also with regard to "being hard on a pan" I think the way the handles are attached to these pans is important to their use and longevity.

All my All Clad has come from the VIP Seconds sale. I can vouch, I have yet to figure out what made it a second. I must confess at this point (over the years) I have a bit of a collection. I might buy one or two pieces a year.

Update: per all clad the d5 line is not discontinued. Waiting to hear if they can find me the pan as it’s not on their site.

I went by Williams Sonoma today, so that I could see for myself the difference between the D3 and the D5 line. I never did get to compare the two because they didn’t have d3 on display. However when walking into the store, what to my wandering eyes should appear, but right there on display: the pan out of stock everywhere, including this store. On sale, for $100 off! I couldn’t believe it. What was the luck?

Not so fast Maria. Because it was only a scratched up display, because like the website said, it was out of stock. I was oh so close! It was right there in my grasp, but not good enough to gift. We called all the local stores showing it in store inventory (online showed out of stock in all), but all were only display.

I was *this* close! The hunt goes on…

These are all very pretty pans you have. I am still hooked on nonstick. I seriously considered the health concerns but figured I was too old to worry about it. I bought an AllClad sauteuse pan, 2-handled, about 15 years ago, probably 5 qt. but I'm not about to measure, but all clad because it was supposedly finished nonstick inside and out. I immediately cursed its lack of nonstickness. So inferior to good TFal. I considered returning it but there were not many options in the same shape then. Love the shape, stovetop to oven, but only for foods that will not stick anyways. I actually applaud you all who take on clean stainless varieties.

I grew up using mostly nonstick pans and I worried a bit about making the change, but once you get the heat right (won’t take long at all) the bonus is deglazing the pan, which basically cleans it and makes a sauce you can’t do in a nonstick pan. If need be, a bit of barkeeper friend will make your pans shine like new. Now, I own only one nonstick pan, if you don’t count mom’s cast iron, it’s a crepe pan. Not something in regular rotation. I almost always use my 12” triply stainless double handle “everyday“ pan for, well, everything, lol.

PS

Dark Waters is a good movie, to see or avoid depending, chronicling the attorney who took on DuPont re water pollution and Teflon.

Well, hot dang. The cookware piece I wanted to get for the wedding was supposed to arrive in stores May 2, according to all-clad, who told me rumors of that product line being discontinued weren’t true. When it didn’t arrive, I wrote to all-clad again who just now emailed me and said it’s been discontinued. Thanks for waiting 4 days before the wedding to tell me. (They knew I had a wedding deadline.) 😡

So, I added to their registry cash fund and I’m out.

Last edited:
It was probably a 14-year old intern who answered you the first time.

I am constantly amazed at how poorly business employees actually listen to what you ask them. I was in Fresh Market yesterday and a woman (my age) asked the counter person bagging (20-ish) if she needed the store customer card to get sale item prices. I knew immediately she was saying “I don’t have one but can you use a customer guest card for me when I check out?”

The young girl handed her a form to fill out.

The woman repeated “I just want one item. Do I have to sign up for that?”

The girl said “You have to fill this out online and they’ll mail you a card.”

The woman said “I don’t have time to go online now. I just need one item.”

And the girl behind the counter turned away.

And the woman walked out of the store.

Probably never to return to Fresh Market.

(PS: I would have offered to help but I don’t have a store card either).

This is the sort of experience that business owners need to know about. I see this sort of nonsense all the time. I worry for the viability of these kids.

The most irritating thing is that the clerk didn’t answer her question, she just went into a spiel. She could’ve just said I’m sorry it’s store policy you don’t get the sale price unless you have a card. Rude.

Back