All of Epi's Gail's Recipe Swap Posts here

CathyZ

More a method than a REC but darn tasty- goes right to your hips too

Barbara, do you know how to make a white sauce (fancy name Bechamel)? When I make mac & cheese I like to start with a basic white sauce, add 3-4 kinds of cheese to it, add some onions and pour it over the cooked mac. Sometimes I add salsa to the cheese sauce and sometimes I put partially cooked broccoli in with the mac. I use a combo of American, cheddar, pepper jack, Gruyere and parmesan (parmesan on top right before it goes into the oven). You could use almost any kind of cheese combo.

There are two kinds of mac & cheese: one that has a creamy sauce like the kind I make and another where you just put cheese(s) and mac together and bake.

Rec: Martha Stewart's Mac & Cheese. My favorite...

This really is a great recipe. I also add a bit of blue cheese as well for a really great flavor.

MACARONI AND CHEESE

Serves 12
6 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar
2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruyère or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) grated pecorino Romano
1 pound elbow macaroni

1. Heat the oven to 375°. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread pieces in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set the bread crumbs aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute.

2. Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.

3. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyère or 1 cup pecorino Romano. Set cheese sauce aside.

4. Fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 fewer minutes than manufacturer’s directions, until outside of pasta is cooked and inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.

5. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/2 cup Gruyère or 1/4 cup pecorino Romano; scatter bread crumbs over the top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; serve.

My T & T method for making Macaroni and cheese.

One large spilling-over handful of macaroni for each person eating.
8 to 16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, amount depending on amount of macaroni. I use 8 ounces for 4 people.
Milk
Salt and pepper.

Cook macaroni in salted boiling water for a couple of minutes less than package directions, or very al-dente.
Meanwhile, grate the cheese on a coarse grater.
When done, drain the macaroni and put into a casserole dish large enough to hold it well. Salt and pepper to taste.
Mix 2/3 of the grated cheese into the hot macaroni, stirring well with a fork, so that all the cheese is distributed evenly and becomes "melty." If you adore lots of cheese, use even more cheese. Add enough milk so that you can barely see it reaching to the bottom of the top layer of macaroni.
Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. If you like a thick layer of cheese, add more. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes, or until the top is totally melted, and beginning to get crusty and golden.
This is a simple recipe, very cheesey, but not with the smooth "Kraft style" sauce. The interior almost separates into cheese curds, and the top is where everyone grabs the plate at the end of the meal and picks off all the crusty bits. True comfort food.

A Different Macaroni & Cheese

Macaroni & Tomato Bake

Serving Size : 8

1 Pound Large Elbow Macaroni Or Ziti
1 Green Pepper -- CHOPPED
1 Onion -- CHOPPED
Garlic -- MINCED
1/4 Pound Margarine
1 Dash Salt
1 Pinch Sugar or SWEET & LO
Red Pepper -- CRUSHED - DRY
1 Can Stewed Tomatoes
1 Can Tomato Sauce
3/4 Pound Cheddar Cheese -- SHREDDED - SHARP

COOK MACARONI AND DRAIN VERY WELL

PUT MARGARINE IN DISH WITH CHOPPED GREEN PEPPER, ONION, AND GARLIC.

COVER AND STEAM FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES IN MICRO.

MIX TOMATOES WITH TOMATO SAUCE, SEASONINGS, AND SUGAR. COMBINE WITH ONION AND PEPPER.

IN A GREASED LASAGNA DISH, LAYER MACARONI, TOMATO AND CHEESE - MACARONI, TOMATO AND TOP WITH CHEESE.

COVER WITH FOIL AND BAKE AT 350°FOR ABOUT 3/4 HOUR AND THEN UNCOVER AND CONTINUE TO BAKE TIL CRISP ON TOP (ABOUT 1/2 HOUR)

Olga posted a great recipe for Buttermilk Macaroni & Cheese just before Gail's shut down

I loved it. The tanginess of the buttermilk really enhanced the cheese flavor.

BUTTERMILK MAC AND CHEESE

Once you taste this version of an all time favorite comfort food, you may never make the regular kind again. It will be your most requested recipe.

6 eggs
3 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the cheese, buttermilk, butter and salt. Add macaroni; mix well. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 350 F. for 45 to 50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160 F. Yield: 8-10 servings.

Country Woman

T&T Macaroni and Cheese from Deb/TN... bless her heart...

This stuff is SERIOUS comfort food and will satisfy any mac'n'cheese addict!

Deb’s Mac and Cheese

1/3 of a 2 lb. block of Velveeta cheese
1 tsp. salt
2 cups elbow macaroni
½ stick butter
1 egg
2 cups whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice cheese with a cheese cutter and set aside.

Fill a large saucepan with water, add salt and bring to a boil. Add macaroni and return to a boil. Cook for approximately 9 minutes until just tender, then turn into a colander.

While draining the macaroni, put butter in the still-warm pot, and place the sliced cheese on. Place lid on pot while going on to the next step.

Beat the egg and mix it with the milk. Set aside.

Pour still-hot macaroni into pot with the cheese and butter and stir until the cheese is melted. (Doesn't have to be completely melted.) Add the egg and milk mixture and stir. Add more milk and stir as needed to just cover the macaroni.

Pour into a greased, two-quart casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes or until slightly browned.

T & T REC: Over the Rainbow Macaroni and Cheese

Over the Rainbow Macaroni and Cheese

Hubby absolutely loved this mac and cheese! Patti says if you don’t want to use all five cheeses you can get away with just the Velveeta and Sharp Cheddar, it won’t be over the rainbow, but it’ll be pretty good. And on special occasions, she sometimes adds an extra stick of butter, in which case it goes over the moon! If you use 2 sticks of butter, substitute milk for the half-and-half. - from Patti LaBelle

Makes 4 - 6 generous servings

1 T vegetable oil
1 lb elbow macaroni
8 T (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter
1/2 c (2 oz) shredded Muenster cheese
1/2 c (2 oz) shredded Mild Cheddar cheese
1/2 c (2 oz) shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 c (2 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 c half-and-half
1 c (8 oz) Velveeta, cut into small cubes
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 t seasoned salt
1/8 t freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.

In a small saucepan, melt 8 tablespoons of butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, Mild and Sharp Cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.

Bake until it’s bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! I have copied and will now..

study to decide on which one to try. I am going to HAVE to try them all eventually, boy do I love mac & cheese.

Thanks again for your recipes and your time,
Barbara

I second this! This is an absolute keeper! Unfortunately, I have trouble w/ the archives, not (m)

who to post credit to posting the initial recipe...BUT, it is fabulous and fattening...Pure heaven

Regards,
Barb*

REC: Layered Macaroni & Cheese Casserole

Layered Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
from Canadian Living

Layers of ham and spinach provide color to macaroni and cheese.

10 oz spinach
3 c elbow macaroni
¼ c butter
¼ c all purpose flour
3½ c milk
¼ tsp ~ white pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch nutmeg
4 c old cheddar cheese, shredded (~1 lb)
1½ c fresh bread crumbs
6 oz cooked ham, thinly sliced

In saucepan with ¼ cup lightly salted water, bring spinach to simmer; cook just until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to dish; set aside and let cool.

In large saucepan of lightly salted water, cook macaroni until al dente (tender but firm), about 7 minutes. Drain well and return to saucepan; set aside.

In another saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat; blend in flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in milk, white and cayenne peppers and nutmeg; cook, stirring, until thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes. Mix in 3 cups of the cheese; stir until melted. Reserve ½ cup of the sauce. Stir remaining sauce into macaroni; set aside.

Squeeze spinach dry; chop coarsely and place in bowl. Add reserved ½ cup sauce, ½ cup of the bread crumbs and ½ cup of the remaining cheese; season lightly with white pepper and set aside.

Spoon 1/3 of the macaroni mixture into well-buttered 12 cup deep casserole dish. Layer ham on top. Spread with another 1/3 of the macaroni mixture. Spread spinach mixture over top. Cover with remaining macaroni.

Combine remaining bread crumbs, cheese and butter; sprinkle evenly over macaroni. (Casserole can be covered and refrigerated at this point for up to 24 hours.) Bake in 350°F oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until topping is crisp and golden brown. Serve immediately.

Makes about 6 servings.

Gail - This is exactly the method/recipe I use!

I didn't think anyone else did it... I thought most people went the bechamel route. I also add some small-diced onion to the mixture though.

Now I'm craving it!

Rec: Macaroni and Cheese, one of my comfort foods ;o)

I've been making this recipe for years.

Macaroni and Cheese

James Beard’s notes from his cookbook, Beard on Pasta: “This is a great American classic, one of our best dishes. It has to be gooey, made with a really rich bechamel and with a cheddar that sings with flavor. I love it when the cheese on top gets burnt and chewy, and I love to scrape up the dried bits that stick to the pan.”

4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
dash of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp Tabasco, or more to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream or creme fraiche
1/2 lb. macaroni elbows or double-elbows
3/4 lb. grated cheddar cheese (I think sharp is best)

Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and stir it with a wooden spoon or spatula for around 3 minutes, until the roux is frothy and the taste of raw flour is gone. Meanwhile, heat the milk in another pan. Add the warm milk gradually to the roux, stirring hard all the while. Turn up the heat and cook, stirring until the sauce is just at the boiling point. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for a few minutes. Now add the pepper and Tabasco. Don’t be afraid of the Tabasco, it will help to bring out the taste of the cheese. Stir in the heavy cream or creme fraiche and simmer a little longer, until the flavors are blended.

Cook and drain the macaroni.

Mix 3/4 of the grated cheese into the simmering sauce. As soon as it melts, combine it with the drained macaroni, and pour it into a baking dish (I use a 9x13 baking dish so macaroni is more spread out and the cheese on top can get dark and crusty). Sprinkle top with remaining cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes. Serves 4 to 6

Source: Beard on Pasta, James Beard

Perfect timing! My friends are having a Mac N' Cheese cookoff after the new year...

now which recipe to try????

Back