Any of you foodies live near NY City?

cynupstateny

Just had someone rave about her visit to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx and wondering 1)How safe the area is and 2) Is it worth a day trip for a group of food enthusiasts?

Thanks!

Hi Dawn>>>

When I lived in NY we used to go to Arthur Ave weekly. It is very safe and probably one of the very few true Italian enclaves left.
After we moved here to PA about 90 minutes away from the Bronx our trips were more monthly. I have not been since Keith passed and I really miss it.
You will never have better pizza than they make at Full Moon and if you can, go to Dominic's for dinner. It's the best, you sit at long tables with people you don't know, the waiter who is also your chef will come out and tell you what they are making that evening. Of course if you want something different, they will make that too. They put a fresh loaf of Addeo's bread on the table ( the best bread in NY, I went to school with the Addeo boys so it's a loyality thing) and you have the best time and make new friends,
Go to the retail Market to Mike's for proscuitto,pancetta and other cold cuts, Calandra's for cheese, ( Mike's cheese is very good too, and Mike likes to sing opera while he "works" sipping a glass of wine, his kids really run the place now) Vincent's for meat (great osso bucco and sausage) Addeo's for bread and pepper breadsticks, and for pastry's head around the block to 187th St to Eguido's. Cannoli's that will rock your world.
The only problem with the weekend, is the parking, for some reason it has sadly become something of a tourist attraction, although I cannot see why anyone would drag their very bored children for a day of food shopping, however they do. Hopefully the novelity has worn off and it's back to normal once again. They have parking lots off the street and they are really reasonable and there is an attendant on duty.
If you are any way squeemish, avoid looking in the windows of the meat markets, they hang the whole pig, goat, rabbit whatever right in plain view. My sister never got used to it.
Anyway in my mind, it is well worth the trip. Bring your cooler, and a large tote bag to haul your goodies around in because you will have bags from lots of places and might misplace one if you run out of hands to carry them. I have a big Land's End one that I keep in the car for the Arthur Ave trip.
marg

I agree with marg-you'll love to visit. There's also a great shop that sells wonderful espresso..

pots, cups, and the best ground coffee.

Hi Marg, I don't live in the City, but northwest of it by about 250 miles...

went there, a couple times, but it was long before I was interested in good food.

Sorry, no advice for Cyn, except to have a good trip!

Umm... OK. Not quite sure what you mean Dawn, Did I miss a post??.>>>

I kind of figured that you were from up above. Most folks from upstate use NYS instead of just NY.
I am guessing that Cyn wants Charlie's recommendations as well as the ones I gave you? When are you thinking about taking your trip?

I think I'm a bit confused, too. It's me, Cyn, Marg who asked for input on

Arthur Ave. Thought you just typed Dawn's name in 464.1 instead of mine.

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?

Then who the h*ll else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? Huh? Ok.
(smile)

Hi Cyn.. YES. Dawn asked for the input>>>>

I posted a reply. With input. As did Charlie.
Hope this clears it up!!!! smileys/smile.gif

I'm not that familiar with the area, but have been there a couple of times. Unfortunately...

I don't remember names like marg.

We like the cheese store at one end of the avenue; they let you sample.

There's a meat market with tons of dried sausages hanging from the rafters--great stuff.

A great "mom and pop" style ravioli store for fresh pastas.

A wine shop with hard to find Italian offerings.

That indoor market that marg mentioned is a must for produce, real torrone like you find at Italian feasts, salted capers and anchovy in big jars, kitchenward, etc.

See if you can find the Arthur Avenue Cookbook. It has features and recipes from many the shops--and addresses.

Lol - No I didn't... 'twasn't me. Oh this thread is bringing me out of my bad mood quickly...

I woke up with such a bad night's sleep I thought it must be March by now... it was at least that long, I think I woke up every 10 minutes.

Then I get an e-mail that was not the answer from someone that I had hoped, then frustrations at work.

But THIS is lightening things up. I know I can always come here for a boost. That's what I so desparatly missed at the other place.

Thanks guys! And if I ever go to NYC again, you'll the first one that I ask for advice on where to go Marg, or Cyn, or was it Charlie? Or was it Dawn/MO? Who's on first? Huh? Who am I?)

;o)

Back