Anyone have a T&T carrot cake that they love?

barbara-in-va

all the better if I can make in a 9x12!

Okay, little slow here this morning. I searched the archives and found Clair Saffitz's recipe being discussed. Think I will try that one. Just have to figure out how much batter to put into a 9x13 pan, the rest will become cupcakes :)

Last edited:

Okay, little slow here this morning. I searched the archives and found Clair Saffitz's recipe being discussed. Think I will try that one. Just have to figure out how much batter to put into a 9x13 pan, the rest will become cupcakes :)
Barb, Hope I am not too late.....Gale Gand's Recipe is wonderful.....have a look and check the reviews....go to carrot cake..... this is made in a 10 x 3 inch round cake pan

Last edited:
Barb, Hope I am not too late.....Gale Gand's Recipe is wonderful.....have a look and check the reviews....go to carrot cake..... this is made in a 10 x 3 inch round cake pan

My friends all rave about carrot cake including pineapple. I haven't made a cc in half a century so must try this one.

My friends all rave about carrot cake including pineapple. I haven't made a cc in half a century so must try this one.
Hope you enjoy it when you try it......have made it many, many times.....Love Pastry Chef Gale Gand recipes......Enjoy

My favorite is still Silver Palate's....but you HAVE to know a few things:
1. The recipe fills three (3) TALL (at least 2" high, NOT 1.5") 8" pans. Or you can use two (2) TALL 9" pans. (recipe just says 2 pans, but they aren't standard cake pans---otherwise, it will overflow. Trust me on that one. I can make 36 cupcakes from this recipe (another clue that you need bigger pans) so I would think a 9"x 13" pan would still make 6 or more cupcakes.
2. You have to use the WHISK beater for your mixture while beating the eggs and sugar. It needs to almost triple in volume.
3. Then SLOWLY drizzle the oil down the side while still sing the whisk. This will keep the eggs from deflating so much.

I always add pineapple in mine, but then I make preserved fresh pineapple and turn it into crushed pineapple.
I also use organic carrots (taste to make sure they are carrot-y), steam until soft and then puree with food processor. That way it makes cutting the cake easier than running into carrot shreds. Same reason I DON'T add coconut flakes.

Last edited:

I love the Dorie Greenspan Carrot Cake, but I use the King Arthur/Rose Beranbaum recipe for white chocolate cream cheese frosting. I cannot in good conscience use a pound of sugar for a frosting

Last edited:
Shirley Corriher (CookWise) adapted Rose's icing for a warm weather occasion (such as wedding cake served outside).

Rose's uses chocolate, cream cheese and butter. Shirley's version eliminates the butter.

8 oz white chocolate, chopped or grated (NOT white chocolate chips!)
8 oz cream cheese

Melt chocolate over gentle water bath. Beat cream cheese until smooth in food processor or mixer. Beat in melted chocolate.
Covers one 8" cold cheesecake. (this recipe is in the wedding cheesecake section).
This can also be piped.

NYTimes just posted Dorie Greenspan's version. She doesn't beat the eggs to volume, but does divide the batter into 3 pans and doesn't put much batter in each pan. So her cake doesn't have the same rise as Silver Palates. Also, it's only 2 cups of flour, not three.

It still looks great, except she's using the typical powdered sugar icing.

This thread has made me try so hard to remember the brand of frozen carrot cake that was a staple at every party in the 70s to no avail. It was a loaf cake and came in an orange box. I’ve asked the internet, but it was before it’s time. i Think they only made one other cake similar nobody bought. It’s been gone for years, but it’s still my favorite. It was very dense with pineapple and cream cheese icing.

This thread has made me try so hard to remember the brand of frozen carrot cake that was a staple at every party in the 70s to no avail. It was a loaf cake and came in an orange box. I’ve asked the internet, but it was before it’s time. i Think they only made one other cake similar nobody bought. It’s been gone for years, but it’s still my favorite. It was very dense with pineapple and cream cheese icing.
Maria, Was this it

Carrot Cake (This recipe was given to me by a good friend, Susan Adler, on 4/13/1994.)

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans.)

Blend dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs and oil. Beat 2-3 minutes. Add carrots and nuts, blend by hand. Bake in three 9-inch cake pans (nonstick or greased*) at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cake layers from pans and cool on rack.

Frosting

1 package (8 oz) Philadelphia cream cheese
1 stick unsalted butter
1 package (16 oz) confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Beat first 4 ingredients until smooth. Ice the cool cake. Decorate with whole or chopped pecans.

*I grease & flour the cake pans and then line them with parchment paper which is sprayed with PAM.

NOTE: About 9 to 10 ounces of whole peeled carrots equal 3 cups of shredded carrots using my fine shredding Cuisinart blade. wigs

W

wigs

Well-known member​

Back