Cakes. What's Your Favorite?

I also love this Carrot Cake REC

Carrot Cake (Recipe was given to me by Susan Adler on 4/13/1994.)

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped nuts

Blend dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs and oil. Beat 2-3 minutes. Add carrots and nuts, blend by hand. Bake in three 9-inch cake pans (nonstick or greased*) at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cake layers from pans and cool on rack.

Frosting

1 package (8 oz) Philadelphia cream cheese
1 stick unsalted butter
1 package (16 oz) confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cups chopped pecans (optional)

Beat first 4 ingredients until smooth. Ice the cool cake. Decorate with whole or chopped pecans.

*I grease & flour the cake pans and then line them with parchment paper which is sprayed with PAM.

NOTE: About 9 to 10 ounces of whole peeled carrots equal 3 cups of shredded carrots using my fine shredding Cuisinart blade.

Don't believe I've posted "Miami Beach Birthday Cake" before. YUM!

MIAMI BEACH BIRTHDAY CAKE (Recipe was given to me by Liz Basham eons ago. I do not know the original source, but am guessing it came from the Nestle company.)

6-oz. package (1 cup) Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1-1/2 cups sugar + 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups buttermilk or sour milk
1 cup heavy cream

Oven preheated to 375 degrees F. Yield: Two 9-inch layers.

Melt 1/3 cup of the chocolate morsels. Set aside. Grease & flour the bottoms of two round 9-inch layer cake pans. Combine graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Stir in walnuts and 2/3 cup chocolate morsels. Set aside.

Combine or sift together flour with the soda & salt. Set aside. Cream butter in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add 1-1/2 cups sugar, creaming until mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla.

At low speed of electric mixer, add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 40 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center. Remove cake layers from pans and cool.

Beat heavy whipping cream in chilled bowl with chilled beaters until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2 Tablespoons sugar and beat until stiff peak stage. Fill and frost sides of cake with sweetened whipped cream, keeping layers top-side up. Refrigerate.

Caryn's note: On occasion I like to whip about 1-1/2 cups of cream so I can also frost the top of the cake (instead of leaving it plain like the recipe directs). I add an extra tablespoon of sugar when using the larger amount of cream.

Back