Anyone interested in a new twist for their latkes??>>>

moyn

I was on the treadmill this A.M, watching a local Today show, who had one of the local chef, caterers from the area demonstrating his latkes...

and I figured, Why not??? Been making the same basic recipe for 40 years now, and maybe everyone will welcome a bit of change. Just finished a batch and they are quite good, if a bit of departure from the traditional.

Here's what I did:

3 russet potatoes, peeled

1 sweet potato, peeled

1 medium zucchini, unpeeled

2 medium carrots, peeled

1 onion, peeled

4 eggs

matzo meal

flour

baking powder

salt & pepper, to taste

Andalusian olive oil (to fry)

I really took the shortcut, this year, by using the Cuisinart...did 1/4 of the veggies with the shredder, and then did the remainder with the cutting blade.... then added the eggs, & the other ingreds...Was thinking about adding some fresh basil or thyme, but didn't want to completely depart from the traditional.... one step at a time, LOL.

I fried them in a non stick pan, with a minimum of olive oil for each batch.

They are reallllllly good.

I will reheat them tomorrow in a very hot oven...450... for a few minutes, til they crisp up and serve them with sour cream, maybe add some chopped scallions to the sour cream....

Happy Chanukah!

Enjoy!

Sounds delicious, Moyn....would you also post your classic latke recipe

of 40 years, if you have the time. We are celebrating Hanukkah with my side of the family Thursday night at my lil sis's house. Up until now she has bought the latkes as a fundraiser from her Temple or made them from a box (tastes like a box)but this time I've convinced her that we are all going to make them together (nieces/nephews, etc.)

Happy Hanukkah to you and yours!

Debra

Moyn and her new twist latkes....LOL

Moyn!....what a treat to read that you grate some of the potatoes and do some with the steel knife!!!....shall try them next time like that. Hope your Channukah was a good one, and Christmas too....A very Happy, Healthy, Peaceful Year to one and all....ella-Toronto

Back