Anyone know why shrimp are SOOO cheap suddenly? They are half the price around

Marg CDN

here and I'm grabbing them up.

But I recall reading a 'save the environment' article in the AA inflight magazine about a year ago which stated something about the capture of shrimp, or the 'production' of shrimp contributing to the loss of another fish. It was in an article that talked about sea bass, which I love and won't buy any longer, but now I can't remember what other sea creature I may be jeopardizing.

Anyone know?

I think it's because they are from Vietnam, other Asian countries...

if you ask where the shrimp are from, they should tell you. Our Albertson's had Extra Large shrimp for $4.99 per pound last weekend, already deveined! The sign in the display case said they were from Vietnam, farmed, too. I remember Emeril Lagasse appealing to consumers a few months ago to only buy domestic shrimp and he has his own brand out now, frozen, but from the Gulf.

valin's right...

There's an oversupply right now. Shrimpers up here in maine aren't going out now because they can't give the shrimp away. Prices in Portland recently fell to 10 cents/pound for shrimpers. Can't say what species might be being negatively affected, but the flooded market is making the prices drop.

After Katrina and all the "stuff" that floated back out into the Gulf,

how safe is it to eat shrimp et al from there?

Debbie
(been wondering this for awhile)

Debbie, I remember reading an article saying it was safe to eat crustaceans from the Gulf

after Katrina. Sorry, personally, I didn't buy it. This topic of imported shrimp is quite controversial now...if you do a Google search on
"imported shrimp" you'll see what I mean. The U.S. is saying that the Asian shrimp is not safe, etc., etc. There is also an excellent article about this at www.sautewednesday.com right now.

Well thank you. Did I learn a lot!! We should all read this article on shrimping around the world &

what problems are arising, according to the article. Now I know what the magazine was referring to.

Interesting question about eating Gulf shrimp too. Six months after hurricane Ivan, the 'stuff' was still sitting on the surface of the soil in the Caribbean, baked right on. Even the torrential rains did not remove it. That can't be too helpful for farming either. It's not something that I wanted to walk on in bare feet and I sure wouldn't want my veggies growing in it. Quite a predicament.

Anyway, I have linked the article on shrimp.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/04/13/FDGFOC461B1.DTL&type=printable

Back