Attention Mozilla Firefox users. Re: Back button problem

mimi

Ok, I have done a LOT of research on this. This problem is a known bug in Mozilla Firefox going back to 2003. See the link at the end of this post to read the official bug report at Mozilla.com.

WHY does this happen at this site, and not others? Well, it does happen at other sites, actually, but not all other sites. This site sends a no-cache directive to the browser, telling it not to cache the page. This forces the browser to re-load a new version of the page every time you visit it. If it didn't do this, then whenever you viewed the Swap page, you would see the same version as the last time you visited (because the browser had cached it) and you wouldn't be able to see the new posts unless you manually refresh/reload the page.

The bug in Mozilla is that for pages that send the no-cache directive, it does not remember page placement when using the back button to return to a previous page. It thus goes to the top of the page. IE, Safari and Opera all work correctly in this respect, even for sites that send the no-cache directive. Unfortunately for Firefox users, the current status of this bug is "Nobody's working on this, feel free to take it." (see the Bug Report). So it doesn't look like it's anyone's priority at Mozilla right now.

So...since the problem is a bug with Mozilla, and the only way to fix it is for us to remove the no-cache directive, which would make everyone have to manually refresh the page in order to see new posts whenever they visit, I'm afraid there is nothing further I can do regarding this. Sorry! I tried.

If you want to be pro-active about this, visit Mozilla's Support Forum at http://forums.mozillazine.org/ and encourage them to address Bug #215405.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215405

Thanks so much for your efforts on this, Mimi and for everything you've done for us on this board...

It is very much appreciated.

You're very welcome. I just wish I could have found a solution.

I'll check from time to time to see if someone clever out there has found a workaround.

Back button

Hi, I have this problem using Netscape at home. On another computer using Internet Explorer it worked ok. Thanks anyway, Mimi it's a trivial problem overall.

Mozilla and Netscape use the same engine

so it stands to reason they would share the same bug. IE doesn't suffer from this bug. Strange to find something IE does better than Firefox!

Back