Beef Wellington for Christmas dinner- anyone have a favorite liver pate recipe to share?

Cathy, I made a goof the last time I made it & it turned out better. I was doing the duxelle but

when I had chopped the mushrooms and shallots in the Cuisinart, I put the contents into the saute pan and carried on adding the little can of foie gras. I was so annoyed with myself, thinking it will be horrible with FRIED foie. Then I started remembering that my favourite way to eat it is slightly sauteed.

So I carried on gently sauteing the duxelle and foie together. I put it on either side of the meat.

It was actually, the very best I have ever had. No recipe, but it was outstanding.

I buy the tiny cans of the French foie gras. So it was just that, plus shallots and mushrooms.

If you are someone who has a thing about the way the birds are treated, then foie gras is not for you. I can't understand how I can eat it knowing the lives of these poor critters. I'm disgusting.

Cathy, I made a goof the last time I made it & it turned out better. I was doing the duxelle but

when I had chopped the mushrooms and shallots in the Cuisinart, I put the contents into the saute pan and carried on adding the little can of foie gras. I was so annoyed with myself, thinking it will be horrible with FRIED foie. Then I started remembering that my favourite way to eat it is slightly sauteed.

So I carried on gently sauteing the duxelle and foie together. I put it on either side of the meat.

It was actually, the very best I have ever had. No recipe, but it was outstanding.

I buy the tiny cans of the French foie gras. So it was just that, plus shallots and mushrooms.

If you are someone who has a thing about the way the birds are treated, then foie gras is not for you. I can't understand how I can eat it knowing the lives of these poor critters. I'm disgusting.

Ham and Mushroom Pate

1 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/3 lb smithfield type ham, chopped
1/4 lb butter
1 Tb chopped shallots
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c brown sauce*
Mince mushrooms and ham in food processor. Saute in butter for 3-5 minutes.
add remaining ingredients. cook until almost dry, but stills binds together. 30+ minutes.

*Brown Sauce
1 1/2 Tb butter
1 1/2 Tb flour
2 cups beef stock - fresh is best...
1/3 c dry white wine
Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour. Cook stirring until browned.
Stir in broth. Bring to a boul, cook 3-5 minutes, stirring. Add wine.

If you have extra, very good on a crostini!!

Thank you Sarah and Marg (more)

Sarah, I think I will use your pate in another recipe- it is a nice combination of flavors and I thank you for posting it.

Marg- if I could get real Foie Gras I would be happy as a clam. I don't like the way it is produced but it doesn't stop me from using a tiny bit when I can get it. I will make my own substitute. Thanks for the tip- if I ever get a chance I will do the same thing you did- saute it.

Back