BLUEBERRY MUFFINS (Jordan Marsh)

meryl

Made these last night for the second time -delicious. Note: I added 1 tsp lemon zest to the batter.

1/2 cup butter (room temperature)

1 cup sugar

2 eggs (room temperature)

2 cups flour

2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup milk (I used 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups blueberries (I used 2 cups frozen blueberries, unthawed, tossed with 1 Tbsp flour)

sugar, for sprinkling tops of muffins (I omitted this)

Grease 12 cup muffin pan. (I buttered the top of the pan also, and used muffin liners).

Preheat oven to 375.

In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt.

Add alternately to creamed mixture with milk and vanilla.

Crush 1/2 cup berries and add to batter. (I omitted this)

Fold remaining berries into batter and spoon into muffin pan.

Sprinkle with sugar. (I omitted this).

Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool in pan 5 minutes and turn onto wire rack.

12 servings

I've been making these since......

I first set up housekeeping in Mass......back in late 60's.
Jordan Marsh was one of our great department stores and their Boston store had a bakery where these were sold.
The Boston Globe published the recipe in the late 60's and they are legendary in this house.....nothing else will do, blueberry muffin wise!

Wow - I can't believe you've been making these since the 60's! I can see why - they're the best!

I never had a Jordan Marsh in any of the areas I lived, but always heard it was a great store (especially their bakery. LOL).

NFC--Jordan Marsh was bought out by Macy's several years ago and the .......

name disappeared. Now they've bought out Filenes the othe great department store in Mass. and they are closing the one on Cape Cod. Our mall will now have Macy's (until that's bought out) and some unknown--Target, if we're lucky. Happily, Sears is still with us altho I have heard that it was bought by Kmart.

Back