Bobby Flay Potato, Sweet Onion and Sage Gratin

barbara-in-va

In my old age I tend to cook quite healthy. I will be cooking dinner for others and want to make it a bit special. So I need help with the amount of cream here! I am wondering if I could use light cream instead of heavy cream? Or do I need to just go ahead with the heavy cream and enjoy the indulgence?? Any other sugggestions?

2T butter
2T OO
4 large sweet onions
S&P
3T finely chopped fresh sage
4 large idaho potatoes
2C heavy ceeam

1. butter a 9" baking dish, set aside, preheat oven to 375
2. Heat oil & butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the thinly siced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelized, 30-35 minutes. Season with S&P and stir in the sage.
3.Place a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish, top with 1/7 of the onin mixture and 3T of cream, season with S&P. Repeat making 7-8 layers. Press to submerge the potatoes in the cream mixture. Place on baking sheet and cover with foil.
4. Bake 30 min, remove foil, continue baking fo 30-45 minutes, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife and top is golden brown. Let rest for 30 min before slicing.

This is the way I have been making 'scalloped potatoes' for decades, and I started it on a whim as I thought it would eliminate the need for the flour/butter/milk routine. (I use dried French thyme rather than sage) Remember the old way we used to make scalloped potatoes? I still use heavy cream but why not try the old method if you want to save on calories and lipitor. I would add the sauce (separately) liberally to the potatoes and very lightly to the onions and then just do as many layers as you want ending with the potatoes. You might put a dot of butter on top.

I think I would go all out since it truly is an indulgent cause (you are cooking for others). Jerry and I eat quite healthy too (me more than him:) but sometimes, with company I throw caution to the wind.
I agree. For company, I’d splurge. Also, in some recipes it can make a difference in taste.

I think I would go all out since it truly is an indulgent cause (you are cooking for others). Jerry and I eat quite healthy too (me more than him:) but sometimes, with company I throw caution to the wind.
Thanks Deb!! I was sorta leaning that way but so much heavy cream sorta freaked me a little, LOL!!!

Hi Barb!! So many familiar faces this week!
Bon appetit with this wonderful sounding dish

PS: my only comment would be to use organic potatoes since you’re going all out. I honestly believe they have more flavor than regular potatoes.

I have made this Charlie Trotter potato pave several times, trying the cream version and using 3 cups milk in place of the cream and haven't noticed an appreciable difference in taste. Originally published in the Charlie Trotter Cooks at Home cookbook.
Enjoy your company!

I have made this Charlie Trotter potato pave several times, trying the cream version and using 3 cups milk in place of the cream and haven't noticed an appreciable difference in taste. Originally published in the Charlie Trotter Cooks at Home cookbook.
Enjoy your company!
Thank you ery much!!! I was thinking of using light cream but milk is definitely an option!

Back