Boiling onions?

dawn_mo

I have a Thanksgiving side dish that I make for Thanksgiving every year since my mother-in-law passed away.
Every year I go through stressing about where to find the frigging boiling onions.
I’m stumped this year. I have not been able to find them anywhere.
Any ideas or new recipes to spring on the fam?
Next year, I am going to grow them in my
garden.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Dorothy’s Thanksgiving Onions
Ingredients
small onions (not pearl onions)
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
2 ounces medium cheddar cheese, grated
2 ounces Parmesan, grated
1 can fried onion rings

Preparation
Put the onions in a pot of water and bring it to a boil. Boil for a couple minutes, then drain in colander. When the onions are cool enough to handle, slip the skins off. Place in a oven-proof casserole. In a frying pan make a roux with the butter and flour. Cook for a few minutes to remove the raw flavor from the flour. Gradually add milk, whisking as you go, until you have a nice white sauce. You don't want it too thick, like a thinnish pancake batter (because my mother-in-law doesn't like thick pancake batter :). Cook for a couple minutes. Grate the cheese directly into the sauce, whisking as you go. You don't want a cheese sauce, just a white sauce with a touch of cheese. If it too thick add a little milk (remember the pancake batter issue) until it is the right consistency. I like to add the onions to the sauce then pour the whole thing into the casserole. Top with crumbled onion rings and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. The onions should be very tender.

I have a Thanksgiving side dish that I make for Thanksgiving every year since my mother-in-law passed away.
Every year I go through stressing about where to find the frigging boiling onions.
garden.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 can fried onion rings

Preparation
Put the onions in a pot of water and bring it to a boil. Boil for a couple minutes, then drain in colander. When the onions are cool enough to handle, slip the skins off. Place in a oven-proof casserole. In a frying pan make a roux with the butter and flour. Cook for a few minutes to remove the raw flavor from the flour. Gradually add milk, whisking as you go, until you have a nice white sauce. You don't want it too thick, like a thinnish pancake batter (because my mother-in-law doesn't like thick pancake batter :). Cook for a couple minutes. Grate the cheese directly into the sauce, whisking as you go. You don't want a cheese sauce, just a white sauce with a touch of cheese. If it too thick add a little milk (remember the pancake batter issue) until it is the right consistency. I like to add the onions to the sauce then pour the whole thing into the casserole. Top with crumbled onion rings and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. The onions should be very tender.
Hi Dawn, So very nice to "see" you. I have not tried this yet, I watch this chef ... Chef Jean Pierre on You Tube and he is amazing....have a look at his recipe for Cheese Soufflé

I forgot all about these. I used to boil onions, then use that water to make a sauce using powdered milk. (I'm talking about 50 years ago) They were very popular. No cheese, no baking. I didn't know about "boiling onions", I just used small guys. But now I will be scouting around to find out if such onions exist around here.

I make Julia Child's Brown Braised Onions and I use boiling onions. Around the holidays I never have a problem finding the onions in any of our local supermarkets.

garden.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 can fried onion rings

Preparation
I'm not sure where you shop, or if you would consider going to Walmart (I would not) but when I did a google search, they came up as a source for the boiling onions.

Hi dawn! 👋
Double check the stores aren’t calling them something different. Boiling, pearl, and petite onions are all the same. Some stores have them frozen too.

I'm not sure where you shop, or if you would consider going to Walmart (I would not) but when I did a google search, they came up as a source for the boiling onions.
I found them there and ordered them. They delivered them for me. I’m growing them next summer!
Thanks all and I hope you had a great day!

Please explain the difference. I can't find that information anywhere.
(but isn't it nice that you had a resolution)

Please explain the difference. I can't find that information anywhere.
(but isn't it nice that you had a resolution)
To my knowledge, boiling onions are small onions around 3” in diameter. I’m assuming they got their name for their ability to hold up to stewing.
I am going to grow them this summer and use them on the grill.
Thanks all!

Thank you. A childhood friend visited from NY where her and hubby grow almost all their own food. They had planted onion slips from Texas and brought me a grocery bag of onions that were about 2" in diameter. This were full-grown size and I LOVED THEM! They were the size of onions as I remember growing up...not these soccer ball size ones around now. It's getting harder for me to find basic oniony-tasting onions...everyone stocks Sweet or Vidalia or some variation of a sugary onion. If I want sweet, I'll eat a pastry, thank you very much.

Back