RECIPE: Brown Butter Dulce de Leche Cookie Cups

RECIPE:

mariadnoca

I saw these over on sally br site and she gave them an enthusiastic thumbs up. Her note added that next time she might pipe in the duce de Leche to get a smoother finish on top. I haven’t tried these yet, but it’s one of those recipes that sounds like heaven just when you read it, lol so I thought I’d post In case someone else wants to try first.

Brown Butter Dulce de Leche Cookie Cups​

Brown Butter Dulce de Leche Cookie Cups feature an ultra chewy mini cookie cup filled with dulce de leche and sprinkled with sea salt. Pure heaven!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yields: 48 mini cookie cups

Ingredients​

• 1 1/2 cups (6.6 ounces) all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups (6.6 ounces) bread flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk at room temperature
  • 1 13.4- ounce can prepared Dulce de Leche
  • Flaked sea salt, for finishing

Directions​

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray two 24 mini-muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In a small saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter. Swirling the pan occasionally, continue to cook the butter. It should become foamy with audible cracking and popping noises. Once the crackling stops, continue to swirl the pan until the butter develops a nutty aroma and brown bits start to form at the bottom. Once the bits are amber in color, about 2 to 3 minutes after the popping stops, remove from heat and pour into a mixing bowl.
  4. While the butter is still hot, stir in the granulated sugar and brown sugar. Let cool before adding in the vanilla and the eggs and yolk, one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
  5. Press a 1-tablespoon sized ball of dough into each muffin cup. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and using the end of a wooden spoon, make 1-inch wide indentations into the center of each cookie.
  6. Spoon a teaspoon of dulce de leche into each indentation. Sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool completely before serving.

Recipe Notes​

Find prepared Dulce de Leche in the Latin section of most grocery stores.

I had something like this at Christmas. From a bakery so no recipe. It was, however, sandwiched. Oh my. I had such a difficult time offering them to someone that I knew would love them as much as I did. But it was Christmas.....isn't that the time of giving??

Back