Cafe Beaujolais' Coffee Cake

cheezz

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:12:32 GMT

While it's good cold, this cake is an absolute dream on the olfactory front when warm. If you're pressed for time, prep the sugars/dry mix and the wet mix the night before (just hold off on the baking soda and baking powder). Pulling it together in the morning takes a heartbeat... and bakes in only 35-45 minutes (Check on it at the earlier time... mine has never gone the full baking limit.)

Also, I don't add the second tsp of cinnamon on the final topping (recipe uses 2 tsp total) ...but that's just a personal preference.

I get up, mix it together, toss it in the oven, shower and get dressed. When it's done, so am I.

Wrap the pan in a thick towel and go forth with a nutty/cinnamon-y treat that will win friends and teach young children to respect you.

In large bowl mix together

2 1/4 C flour

1 C brown sugar

3/4 C sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ginger

3/4 C corn oil (she's pretty emphatic about using oil vs butter...says some cakes fail miserably if you use butter. Her word is good enough for me...I use oil)

Remove and reserve 3/4 C of crumbs.

Add to large bowl:

1 beaten egg

1 C buttermilk

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

Pour into well-greased 13x9 pan

Add to reserved crumbs:

1/2 C chopped nuts

1 tsp cinnamon

and sprinkle on top of cake

(I like to sprinkle a few chocolate chips on the top. People seem to get such a cheap thrill eating chocolate for breakfast.)

Bake 350 for 35-45 minutes.

Hope this is correct...I'm doing it from memory...EVERYONE loves this! I've even got a contingency at work that begs...It is SUCH a rush of power to have people beg!!

Responses

1. AMEN to this coffeecake paean of praise! It is THE BEST. I have also made it with>>> (Mary in OR)

blueberries sprinkled over the top (in which case, cut WAY down on the cinnamon in the topping); with sliced tart apples; I think it would probably be great with fresh cranberries, although you might need to add some sugar to the topping. It is the only coffeecake I've made for years. I see others and think But why bother...they can't be as good!

Back