Can a plate of brownies bring about the end of the world?

foodmuse

Can a plate of brownies bring about the end of the world? Can chocolate induce The Rapture? I will try to find out.

So dinner party is tomorrow. Chicken is trussed, green beans steamed and brownies were made today. Now I’m trying to think of ways to turn the brownies into more of an “Ooh Ahh” sort of dessert. They are really good brownies with walnuts, but not so good as to induce the type of excruciating pleasure I’m aiming for.

Any thoughts?

I was thinking warm in the microwave and serve with vanilla ice cream but I was hoping one of you culinary whizs could come up with something better.

Thanks as always

Muse

This might - give it a try.

Chocolate Coconut Slices

Brownie Layer:
1 cup soft butter
1½ cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
¼ cup cocoa
½ cup chopped nuts

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, beat well after
each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add flour and cocoa. Stir
in nuts. Spread in greased and floured 13x9x2 inch pan.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup coconut

Mix condensed milk with coconut. Spread on hot cake. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes or until light brown.

Icing:
2 cups icing sugar
¼ cup cocoa
3 tablespoons butter
½ teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons cream or milk

Beat together with spoon until creamy. Spread on very warm cake.

Note: Drop Spoonfuls of icing all over the coconut topping - spread carefully because coconut layer wants to move around.

Cut in small pieces because its very rich. Freezes very well. Cuts better if refrigerated for awhile or overnight.

Hot fudge brownie sundaes? REC: Hot Fudge Sauce

Hot Fudge Sauce

1/2 cup heavy cream
3 Tablespoons sweet butter, cut in pieces
1/3 cup each white and dark brown sugar
pinch salt
1/2 cup strained Dutch process unsweetened cocoa powder

Place cream and butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir until butter is melted and cream comes to a low boil. Add sugars and stir until dissolved. Reduce heat. Add salt and cocoa. Wisk until smooth. Serve immediately, or cool. Reheat slowly.

Oops - didn't realize the brownies were already made, but try the

coconut slices when you have the chance - they really are quite good. Your dinner sounds great.

Try serving with different Hagen Daaz (or other daaz) flavors...

like bananas foster (oh so yummy with chocolate!), strawberry (I love strawberry ice cream with brownies), vanilla, cherry--whatever yummy chocolate and _____combinations you can come up with. Serve with a yummy fudge sauce and a big can of reddi whip, maybe extra walnuts to sprinkle. Viola! Heaven!

Debbie

Just to make it really easy, how about using the bottled>>>

Nutella, heated, as a "fudge sauce" and top with freshly whipped cream..... Yum.... heaven! or, a can of dulce de leche....drizzled on each plate.. for dunking each forkful....Hmmmmm sounds good to me!

More ideas...

If you take your favorite high-quality ice cream, say Haagen-Dazs, and melt it in the microwave in brief increments (on low heat, stirring between) you have a perfect (very quick) creme anglais to sauce the brownies. So imagine a brownie sundae, with a scoop of cherry vanilla Haagen-Dazs, sauced by a bit of the melted cherry vanilla, accompanied by some chopped dried tart cherries, toasted nuts, and vanilla whipped cream.
Or use caramel Haagen-Dazs to do the same thing and create a caramel brownie sundae?
Or one of the black raspberry ice creams (forget which brand that's from) then drizzle with raspberry coulis?
Or take a cut brownie, place an equal sized wedge of frozen ice cream on top, and pour melted chocolate over the entire concoction then top with toasted nuts or drizzle with white chocolate?
For a very informal dinner, freeze the cut brownies, then sandwich ice cream between, for very quick homemade ice cream sandwiches.
Or how about a brownie bread pudding for something insanely decadent?

Great Ideas!! i just remembered I bought fresh cherries yesterday

Great Ideas!! i just remembered I bought fresh cherries yesterday. I'm leaving towards nuking the brownie to warm and topping with a flavored ice cream (maybe coffee), whipped cream and a cherry on top.

Thanks everyone. Keep'm comin.
Muse

Marc, you are...

EVILLLL, Evil to the Core!

Besides, I said it was decadent, and it's not like you'd serve brownie bread pudding in anything other than a foo-foo mini-version... and I know you know ALL about foo-foo-food Little Miss Fussy Foodaholic. (your new name, do you like it? *BG*)

This caramel sauce from EPI is divine and so easy. Was listed with pumpkin bread pudding.

Caramel sauce
1 1/4 cups (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup whipping cream

Whisk brown sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Whisk in cream and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes.
Bon Appétit
R.S.V.P.
November 2000

How about chunked and served with whatever in a goblet or martini glass.

And there's always brownie trifle made with chocolate pudding and whipped cream and toasted almonds. Drooling here!

Oh this kills 'em every time...turn 'em into a Trifle layered w/chocolate mousse/whipped cream.....

it is some serious chocolate and it gets lots of moans and groans, plus looks fab...serves lots. It's one of my quick go to desserts if I need something in a pinch:

Cut brownies into bite size chunks. Using tall glass trifle or salad bowl...make layers of brownies/chocolate mousse/whipped cream finishing with whipped cream layer on top. Garnish with shaved chocolate.

Serve with chocolate and caramel syrups on the side for those who want to take this chocolate experience over the moon!

Mousse
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3 cups chilled whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar

Combine chocolate, vanilla and salt in processor. Bring 1 cup cream to boil in heavy small saucepan. With processor running, gradually pour hot cream through feed tube and process until chocolate is melted and smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.

Beat 2 cups cream and sugar in large bowl to stiff peaks. Fold into chocolate mixture. Chill until set, about 6 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)

Maria, you beat me to this!...

I love brownie trifles! This might sound odd, but when I sprinkle the whipped cream with those mini bittersweet baking M&Ms, people go even more nuts over it.

And don't forget the maraschino cherries, preferably with stems attached!

Sogno di Cioccolata “Chocolate Dream” >>>

I had this dessert once at Carrabba's Italian Grill - it was amazing:

Sogno di Cioccolata “Chocolate Dream”
A rich fudge brownie brushed with Kahlua, crowned with chocolate mousse, whipped cream and chocolate sauce.

Back