Can I use a regular tassie dough to make jam tarts?

lana-in-fl

Should I just cook for the same time as a pecan tassie? I have some slightly runny blackberry jam that I would love to use in tarts for Boxing Day, as DH and his brother ate lots of blackberry jam in childhood. We have three children coming, and I think they would like small tarts for dessert. And I still have lemon curd left over from the wedding cake. I see most recipes add the curd after cooking the tart shells, but that's a different dough recipe. If I added an extra egg or something, could I bake the curd to make lemon tarts?

Suggestions:

When I make thumbprints, with jam in the indentation, most recipes say to add the jam when the cookie base is all done and cooled.

I found that leaving the dough whole, then with 5-10 minutes left to baking time, indent the dough, add the jam and finish baking. What that does is slightly melt the jam, making it adhere to the cookie base and it refirms when the cookie is completely cooled. I could turn a jam cookie upside down and the jam wouldn’t fall out.

I think you could do the same with your tassie base.

Re:lemon curd. I’ve taken my curd, added it to a pre-baked crust and popped it in the oven for 10-15 minutes. The curd melts, but firms up again when it chilled. I think smaller tarts would work as well.

Both of these would need a simple test of 1 or 2 tassies to see if your jam and curd have enough oomph to firm up again.

I make my own curd and it’s an all-yolk recipe. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
One more suggestion: I made these for nephews wedding.

Baked mini shells, filled with Richard in Cincy’s key lime dip and topped off with my lemon curd.

Served cold. 76E379A8-97CE-4C77-9D3D-2438BAD86C9F.jpeg

Thank you! I love the idea about the thumbprint cookies, because my thumbprint tends to fade away during baking. I'll do some tests.

Back