Can Paska rise overnight in fridge?

tess

Do you think this can can rise overnight in the fridge after the braiding? And if so, would I bake it right from the fridge? or give it time to warm up before hitting the oven?

I'm trying to bake a few things for Easter and if I can overnnight this it helps.

Paska | King Arthur Baking

Paska (King Arthur Flour)

Ingredients

Dough

• 1 cup (227g) lukewarm water
  • 1/2 cup (113g) milk, whole preferred
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 tablespoons (57g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 5 cups (600g) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 tablespoon instant yeast
  • 2 tablespoons (25g) granulated sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons (15g) salt
Topping

Instructions

1. To make the dough: Weigh your flour; or measure it by gently spooning it into a cup, then sweeping off any excess. Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a soft, smooth dough.
  2. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, and let it rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until it's noticeably puffy.
  3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide it into two pieces, one twice as large as the other. Take the larger piece, roll into a ball, and place it into a well-greased 9" x 2" round pan.
  4. Divide the other piece of dough into three equal pieces, and roll each out into a 20" strand; use the three strands to create one long braid.
  5. Place the braid around the inside edge of the pan, or use it to form a cross over the top of the larger piece of dough.
  6. Cover the loaf and let it rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F, with a rack in the center.
  7. To make the topping: In a small bowl, beat the egg with the water. Brush the mixture gently over the top of the risen loaf, and sprinkle with coarse white sparkling sugar.
  8. Bake the bread for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it's a rich golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool before cutting.

I have no first hand knowledge of this bread but usually you can do the refrigerator overnight and just punch the bread down and proceed. Other paska recipes have two rises anyway. And the fact that the bread has milk and an egg probably leads to a slower rise.

Bread is pretty forgiving in its steps, IMO

Tess, someone already asked this question at KA: Copied from their website:

Barb

Verified Reviewer

04/01/21

Q: How could I adjust the paska bread recipe for an over night rise in the refrigerator?
Thank you!

Answers (1)

King Arthur Baking Team

04/02/21

A: Hi Barb! At step 6 instead of letting the Paska rise the second time at room temperature it can go right into the refrigerator. The next day, if the dough is looking a little small let it sit our at room temperature until puffy (45-90 minutes depending on air temperature). Once puffy, top and bake as directed. Happy baking!-Lilly@KA

Back