Carianna, I feel your pain!

Yes, Carianna, you were robbed! We watched here in Texas and the officiating was pathetic!

NRFC and other things . . . I'm so stupid . . .

I COULDN'T figure what this thread was about. I spent some time this evening after a 18 hour day going back to try to understand what might have "started" this thread and could find no post by Carianna about lamenting about being "robbed." Finally, it dawned on me . . . when I saw the post about "officiating". DUH!! It's about the Superbowl. Silly me!

I spent most of the Superbowl watching cooking shows, checking in occassionally to see if I could catch a commercial and/or half-time.

I also spent considerable time talking to my brother regarding our Betty Friedan memories. Betty Friedan was a close friend of my parents, a neighbor, and a fixture in our young childhood.

My immediate thought on reading of Betty's death was that she NEVER thanked the legions of friends, all STRONG,INTELLIGENT WOMEN who supported her, in so many ways, while she wrote the Feminine Mystique up in the garret of her Victorian home. It was my mother, an incredibly strong and intelligent woman, who washed ALL the dishes in the kitchen when she dropped Betty's daughter off after picking her up from school. It was my Mom who washed all the dirty linens and cooked the meals when we went to visit the Friedans on Fire Island for a weekend. It was my Mom who soothed/smoothed over many of the sometimes VIOLENT, sometimes drunken fights (I was witness to one or two as a child) between Betty and her husband.

As a result, regretably, I admit that I have NOT read the Feminine Mystique, though now may be the time. Truth is, I never had the need . . . I grew up in a network of strong intelligent women . . . who were loving and caring and determined. Yes, they were housewives, but they were politically active, volunteered for schools, and charities, etc. I don't believe they wer unfulfilled . . . they were "do-ers". There were the ones that got things done.

Funny . . . I never considered Betty a role model, though she did incredible things for women.

Okay, sorry. I just had to say these things somewhere.

Don't apologize, our mothers left their marks in this world in a much more important area. Family.

I agree. And is good to get inside info we'd never see otherwise.

There are many times I envy my mother's generation.

Opps! did it again!!!! The "joke" in my family is that (m)

"Mother was liberated long before it became fasionable" I have never been held down or told I could not do whatever I wanted to do. I raised my children, kept my home, cooked and eventually went back to work. I was married in 1952 and at that time women were "expected" to just be homemakers. Hah, not this puppy. I was blessed
with having a great DH and he even helped in the house and took care of the kids when it was necessary, if he was not working. How lucky can one be????

Back