charlie's Couscous Carnivale

J

jadaore

This is so good, I always get asked for the recipe when I bring it to gatherings.

1.5 cups couscous
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup apple juice
1 mango -- diced small
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced small
1 small red bell pepper, diced small
1 small yellow bell pepper, diced small
4 spring onions, thinly sliced, including green tops
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
1/4 cup chopped parsley, and more for garnish if desired (mint is good, too)

Dressing:

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup mango vinegar, or mango vinaigrette (see below for more options)
1 tbsp honey
Salt and pepper -- to taste

Place couscous and salt in a stainless steel or glass mixing bowl. Place chicken stock and apple juice in a small saucepan and heat to a rolling boil. Alternately, place chicken stock and apple juice in a microwave safe container and microwave on high until boiling rapidly. Pour boiling liquid over couscous. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove plastic wrap and fluff couscous with two forks. Spread couscous on a baking sheet and place in refrigerator to cool completely. Combine remaining salad ingredients. Taste and season with salt and pepper. When couscous is cool, combine with mixed salad ingredients. Add dressing and toss to coat thoroughly.

Serves 6

*Can use white balsamic vinegar, raspberry and even just plain apple cider vinegar--adjust with honey to suit your taste.

Jada: I use Orange Muscat Vinegar from Trader Joe's and delete honey. Sometimes I also add some fresh lime and ginger. When making for vegetarians leave out broth and use 1 cup of apple juice and 1/2 cup of water as suggested by Marilyn in FL.

Source: charlie @ Gails from Riki Senn, Executive Chef

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so good, I always get asked for the recipe when I bring it to gatherings.

1.5 cups couscous
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup apple juice
1 mango -- diced small
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced small
1 small red bell pepper, diced small
1 small yellow bell pepper, diced small
4 spring onions, thinly sliced, including green tops
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
1/4 cup chopped parsley, and more for garnish if desired (mint is good, too)

Dressing:

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup mango vinegar, or mango vinaigrette (see below for more options)
1 tbsp honey
Salt and pepper -- to taste

Place couscous and salt in a stainless steel or glass mixing bowl. Place chicken stock and apple juice in a small saucepan and heat to a rolling boil. Alternately, place chicken stock and apple juice in a microwave safe container and microwave on high until boiling rapidly. Pour boiling liquid over couscous. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove plastic wrap and fluff couscous with two forks. Spread couscous on a baking sheet and place in refrigerator to cool completely. Combine remaining salad ingredients. Taste and season with salt and pepper. When couscous is cool, combine with mixed salad ingredients. Add dressing and toss to coat thoroughly.

Serves 6

*Can use white balsamic vinegar, raspberry and even just plain apple cider vinegar--adjust with honey to suit your taste.

Jada: I use Orange Muscat Vinegar from Trader Joe's and delete honey. Sometimes I also add some fresh lime and ginger. When making for vegetarians leave out broth and use 1 cup of apple juice and 1/2 cup of water as suggested by Marilyn in FL.

Source: charlie @ Gails from Riki Senn, Executive Chef
Oh this sounds good too. I normally avoid carb type salads myself, but might be a contender.

Back