Could we post a thread of quick bread recipes? Hopefully, we haven't

dawn_mo

already done it. Ang's post on pumpkin bread and the lemon pound cake slice, that I just paid way too much money for at Starbuck's made me wish I had more recipes.

I especially like the cakes that can be made into loaves, both large and small. Thanks!

Yellowman's Banana Lime Bread - this is from the old Swap, and I don't have who posted it. My only>

tweak was to add the zest of a lime. I use Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.

Yellowman's Banana Lime Bread
In St. Lucia and Anguilles, I made friends with some local people after repeated visits to the same beaches. I won't forget their great nicknames: Merit, Rah's Bucket, Campbell Soup, Sugar Ray, the Ram, So-lar, Freakout, Domino, Splif and Gorgeous. This tasty bread is named after Yellowman.
Yields 1 loaf.
BATTER
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
3 tablespoons milk (or plain yogurt)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
grated zest of one lime
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup unsweetened grated coconut, toasted
2 cups unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
GLAZE
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon rum
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
TOPPING
1/4 cup unsweetened grated coconut, toasted
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
To make the batter, in a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Stir in the eggs, bananas, milk or yogurt, and lime juice/zest. Add the salt, ginger, and grated coconut and mix well. Sift the flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix them until smooth. Pour the butter into the buttered loaf pan and bake for an hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the bread for about 10 minutes before removing it from the pan.
Meanwhile, for the glaze, combine the brown sugar, butter, rum, and lime juice in a small saucepan on low heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes, until it becomes a thin syrup. Pour this glaze over the loaf, spreading it with a spatula or spoon to coat the top and sides. Sprinkle toasted grated coconut evenly over the glazed loaf.

Previously Posted - Brother Rick's Cranberry Orange Quick Bread

Brother Rick's Orange Cranberry Bread

Recipe is from a Jesuit brother who is an ace baker. It's a winner--ideal for the festive season and for taking as a hostess gift. The cranberries can easily be chopped in the food processor.

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour {875 mL}
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp. finely grated orange rind
2 eggs
2/3 cup orange juice
2/3 cup milk
4 oz. (120 g){2/3 cups/150ml} dried
apricots, chopped
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped

In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In separate large bowl, cream butter, sugar and orange rind until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Beat in orange juice and milk.

Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Fold in apricots, walnuts and cranberries just until combined.

Spread batter evenly into 2 greased 8 x 4-inch loaf pans (or 4 smaller pans). Bake in preheated 350 F. oven about 1 hour (45 minutes for small loaves) or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Turn out onto rack to cool completely. Makes 2 medium or 4 small loaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so happy you posted this, I have home made orange marmalade (my first try)

and I think this bread will do the trick to using up my first batch.

Recipe: Garden Bread - Iowa State Fair Winning Recipe (T&T)

Yield: 2 loaves

3 eggs
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup oil
2/3 cup peeled zucchini, liquified in blender
2 cups peeled zucchini, grated
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Beat the eggs until foamy, add sugar slowly and beat. Add the oil, vanilla, zucchini and stir well. Add the dry ingredients and beat slowly, pour into two greased and floured 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.

Bake in 325 degree F. oven for 50 minutes.

Recipe Source: "America's Best Recipes" State Fair Blue Ribbon Winners by Rosemary & Peter Hanley

Recipe of Judy Kinney Knoxville, Iowa

Dorie Greenspan's Hazelnut, Ginger, Olive Oil Cake from above is a loaf cake

I made it Monday night and served it Tues morning. They loved it and DH pleaded for leftovers. I did use Bob's Red Mill Finely Ground Hazelnut Meal/Flour and the cake was wonderful!! Since I had just picked a bunch of black raspberries I made a coulis to serve with the cake and then sprinkled a few berries on top of each slice.

Thank you Karen for the link!

https://books.google.com/books?id=rrzaAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=Dorie+Greenspan%27s+Hazelnut,+Ginger+and+Olive+Oil+Cake&source=bl&ots=AHihvYSygE&sig=mCyLese9t4hJ2di-xNlBdkX9RxM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xUeHVdtmgtKgBPuvpkg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Dorie%20Green

Do a search on quick breads and you

will find entire threads of great tried-and-true quick bread recipes in the archives.

Back