ISO: Daughter asked for osso buco & risotto for her birthday 9/23 - recipes?

In Search Of:

music-city-missy

I have made osso buco once a million years ago and I've made risottos over the years but she has never asked for anything special for her birthday until this year - she turns 31. So I need to find the best recipes for both quickly. She's not a picky eater but when she read some recipes for the osso buco that had cinnamon, she said she wasn't fond of cinnamon in her meat dishes. I can remember if she asked for risotto milanese or just a risotto and I can't find the message with the request since I have a new computer and a new phone.

I just always used the NYTimes Cookbook recipe by Craig Claiborne for both of these. And heavens, no cinnamon!! Risotto has come a long way since that recipe although they are all still much the same. But now there are oven risotto and Instant Pot risotto that may make the dinner assembly easier.
Here is the link to the NYTimes recipe. There is a note there worth seeing. Tie the shanks with twine or they will fall apart and not be attractive.

I have made osso buco once a million years ago and I've made risottos over the years but she has never asked for anything special for her birthday until this year - she turns 31. So I need to find the best recipes for both quickly. She's not a picky eater but when she read some recipes for the osso buco that had cinnamon, she said she wasn't fond of cinnamon in her meat dishes. I can remember if she asked for risotto milanese or just a risotto and I can't find the message with the request since I have a new computer and a new phone.
Giada's Recipe - Osso Buco

Very good......

I have been making osso buco for decades and have always used Marcella Hazan's Milanese recipe. No alterations. It has been dearly loved. Where I live now, people don't eat veal, in general, so it is almost impossible to find. That's okay with me but I do still adore it and it was my husband's favourite. And with it, risotto with asparagus; sometimes also with porcini. I remember eating veal in a beautiful restaurant in Milano, years ago. My husband had osso buco and I had scaloppini. Lovely meal. They sure knew what to do with veal. I'll go digging for the recipes online.

Okay, here they are. Note the accolades that Claiborne gave to Marcella. I have never made anything from any of her books that was not outstanding.

Marcella Hazan's Ossobuco

Marcella Hazan's Parmesan Risotto Recipe | PBS Food

With osso buco, I use chicken broth in the risotto.

Last edited:
I have been making osso buco for decades and have always used Marcella Hazan's Milanese recipe. No alterations. It has been dearly loved. And I have made it for Italian Italians. Where I live now, people don't eat veal, in general, so it is almost impossible to find. That's okay with me but I do still adore it and it was my husband's favourite. And with it, risotto with asparagus; sometimes also with porcini. I remember eating veal in a beautiful restaurant in Milano, years ago. My husband had osso buco and I had scaloppini. Lovely meal. They sure knew what to do with veal. I'll go digging for the recipes online.

Okay, here they are. Note the accolades that Claiborne gave to Marcella. I have never made anything from any of her books that was not outstanding.

Hey, I just looked at the recipe again, and the location in Milano, noted at the side, was where we ate this meal. Gorgeous.

I have been making osso buco for decades and have always used Marcella Hazan's Milanese recipe. No alterations. It has been dearly loved. Where I live now, people don't eat veal, in general, so it is almost impossible to find. That's okay with me but I do still adore it and it was my husband's favourite. And with it, risotto with asparagus; sometimes also with porcini. I remember eating veal in a beautiful restaurant in Milano, years ago. My husband had osso buco and I had scaloppini. Lovely meal. They sure knew what to do with veal. I'll go digging for the recipes online.

This is the one I use also. It's terrific.

I've used this one from Gourmet magazine (1991). The gremolata on the top made it memorable.

Missy, what organ are you going to sacrifice to be able to afford veal shanks?

I'm not sure what happened, that LOL comment was meant for Marilyn, not FROM Marilyn. Did I find a quirk?
Anyway, this is my go-to recipe, though I haven't made it in a very long time.
Pressure cooker risotto--now that I make often! 7 minutes can't beat it for a quick meal!
LMK if you'd like the recipe....

this is me (Paul) typing into monj's quoted reply
(this is me not typing into the quoted reply area) you hit reply which quoted marilynfl. then you type into the quoted reply area so that the above (for example, looks like this:

(this is me not typing into the quoted reply area) you hit reply which quoted marilynfl. then you type into the quoted reply area so that the above (for example, looks like this:
Oh...I get it.
monj, do you see the difference?

I've used this one from Gourmet magazine (1991). The gremolata on the top made it memorable.

Missy, what organ are you going to sacrifice to be able to afford veal shanks?
It may not be a family meal - lol, it might be one serving or even a small tasting portion. And that is IF I can find the veal shanks around here.

MCM, how is the shank search going? Success yet?

MCM, how is the shank search going? Success yet?
Hubby and I got covid just in time for her birthday. And just when I thought we were both finally over it, I tested positive again today after being negative for over a week. Betting hubby, who got it first, got it worse, and only tested negative Friday on her birthday, is coming down with it and will test positive again tomorrow. 🤒

Hubby and I got covid just in time for her birthday. And just when I thought we were both finally over it, I tested positive again today after being negative for over a week. Betting hubby, who got it first, got it worse, and only tested negative Friday on her birthday, is coming down with it and will test positive again tomorrow. 🤒
Ugh, so sorry to hear that. Such a disappointment, hope you both recover soon.

Back