Did I just make a major goof by clicking on "Mark Read"?

debbie_in_ga

I thought it would mark the ones I had already read, not ALL the posts!

Any suggestions of a way to reverse it?

Thanks!

Debbie

I don't know of a way to reverse it, Debbie. I like to use it when

I've read everything on the page I'm interested in. Then when I come back and log in, only the new stuff is in red/burgundy font.

Otherwise, the color/size of the font should automatically change on each individual post as you read it, at least it does when using IE as the browser.

Oh, I do know one way to reverse it - you can clear your cookie file

for this site, and it should reset everything to Unread status.

You know what is odd, when I hit the "mark read" command once, it turned...

everything black, as it shouuld have. But now, since I haven't hit that again, I have noticed that everytime I go on a different computer, all the stuff since that time I hit the command is red and bold, even posts I have read.

This isn't a complaint at all, just an observation that might help those of you who are more technically inclined than I am. Maybe this information will help someone who might want to play around with your settings so that you can see old posts as "new" if you are trying to. I am sure it has something to do with cookies, history-cleaning, privacy settings, etc. on a particular computer.

"Mark Read" will work on multiple computers, but...

if you don't click on Mark Read, then it's your browser that determines what has been "read" or not. This expires over time (so what has been "read" will become "unread" after a period of time) and if you switch browsers or computers then it won't be the same because one browser on one computer has no way of knowing what pages another browser on another computer has visited. Only Mark Read is permanent and works cross-browser. And sorry, no I can't change that because it's a browser issue, nothing to do with this forum. Mark Read was probably created partly for that reason, to get around the browser's limited ability to deal with read/not read.

Back