Did you ever have set meals by day? —We always had the same Sunday dinner.

mariadnoca

Moderator
Every Sunday we always had the same meal:

Fried chicken.
Potatoes that you mashed yourself at the table
Cornbread in the summer; biscuits in the winter, both w honey
Corn on the cob in the summer; most likely green beans in the winter.
Cantaloupe in the summer; some sort of canned fruit in the winter
Iced tea, year-round; milk, if you were still little.

What set meals did you have?
 
The Sunday meal wasn't always the same, but had the same theme. A roast plus. Usually bottom round (yes, it was cheap though) sliced super thin. Always brown gravy, potatoes and a veg. Sometimes a pork roast. Definitely no veal or lamb. A real treat was twice baked potato halves. Then we took our baths and played a board game or card game of our choosing (each week was a different sibling's turn to choose the game) No TV. Always brings fond memories. :)
 
Growing up, our Sunday dinners were generally some kind of roast. It could have been eye if the round (beef), leg of lamb, pork roast or a ham.
There would be potatoes, maybe baby potatoes added to the roast pan, or mashed or baked. In season, there would be fresh veggies, in winter they would be from the freezer. Mom wasn't big into baking so dessert would be something from one of our local bakeries. We were very lucky that our town had 2 great bakeries!
If it was grilling weather, then our dinner might have been whole chickens cooked on the rotisserie.
 
We had tv after dinner: Lassie? (Can’t remember if that was Sunday night,) Walt Disney’s wonderful world of color, and the Ed Sullivan show. I still remember vividly not getting to see the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show because I had not eaten all my dinner. If one didn’t eat your dinner, and these were salmon croquettes, my nemesis, which I never ate because you could only spit so much out in your napkin. One had to sit at the table with the lights off, your plate of uneaten food either until you’re finished it or it was bedtime. I still remember tipping my chair back, trying to see the Beatles and begging my dad to let me watch TV. He stood firm.
 
With it just being three of us and dad a fireman which meant he was on 24 off 48. Because mom worked, when crockpots came along, pot roasts were about all we used it for and it was a weeknight meal since it required just a few finishing touches to get a meal on the table quickly. I usually got home from school, latchkey kid, and cooked some sort of beans or peas out of the freezer and made rice which was more common than mashed potatoes in our house.

I was always jealous of my cousins. My uncle's wife made fried chicken with tomato gravy (chicken gravy with canned tomatoes, not the Italian kind), mashed potatoes, and biscuits for breakfast EVERY Sunday morning. The other sides would vary but that was their Sunday breakfast. Tomato gravy over a split biscuit might be my favorite food though I rarely make it.
 
Never heard of tomato gravy!

What a hearty breakfast, fried chicken for breakfast. For a special weekend breakfast mom usually either made Bisquick pancakes or waffles, but I don’t think it was every weekend and I don’t think it was particularly Sunday, but it might’ve been. I’m not particularly a fan of most traditional breakfast menus. I was thinking soup would be a good breakfast, and I plan to try more of that as the weather gets cooler.
 
Never heard of tomato gravy!

What a hearty breakfast, fried chicken for breakfast. For a special weekend breakfast mom usually either made Bisquick pancakes or waffles, but I don’t think it was every weekend and I don’t think it was particularly Sunday, but it might’ve been. I’m not particularly a fan of most traditional breakfast menus. I was thinking soup would be a good breakfast, and I plan to try more of that as the weather gets cooler.
I don't think most people have heard of our style of southern tomato gravy. You can do it with brown or yellow gravy - you just start with the roux using whatever drippings or fat you want and get it to the color you want. Take canned whole tomatoes and break them apart (squish) then add the tomatoes and their juice to the roux. Add additional liquid as needed - usually I use broth or stir in some water and Better Than Bouillon to get it to the nice medium consistency. Season well, especially with black pepper, and serve over hot, split biscuits.

I have never done it but I guess you could even use bacon or sausage fat to make and season the roux. As a kid, we had KFC a lot and we would get a large container of their gravy (they can keep the chicken, just give me the gravy!) and put it in a pan and add the tomatoes and juice. So you can cheat if you have leftover gravy or some store-bought gravy. There is one restaurant here that is out of Mississippi that has it on their menu but I haven't been there to try it. I need to try it and see if they got it right.
 
Back
Top