Different cucumbers

We gave this 7 out of 10 but it's a good start to any wonderful cucmber Asian salad.
Cucumber Salad with Thai Lime Dressing
E . 7. 8

Serves 4
Dressing:
2 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon canola oil (grape seed)
2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce or chili garlic sauce
½ teaspoon finely minced garlic
1 to 2 teaspoons brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt

Salad:
2 cups watercress or arugula leaves, washed and dried
2 medium cucumbers, peeled
¼ cup roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint

1. Prepare dressing: Combine lime juice, oil, chili sauce, garlic, brown sugar and salt in a small jar. Set aside in refrigerator until 30 minutes before using.
2. Prepare salad: Remove any large stems from watercress or arugula. Wrap in a paper towel and refrigerate until ready to put salad together. Slice cucumbers into 1/8-inch thick slices; wrap in paper towels and refrigerate.
3. Layer half of greens, cucumbers, peanuts and mint on a platter and drizzle with half of the dressing. Repeat layers and serve.

Adapted from "Raising the Salad Bar: Beyond Leafy Greens — Inventive Salads with Beans, Whole Grains, Pasta, Chicken and More" by Catherine Walthers

But generally, I just like them with chopped peanuts, or black sesame seed, sesame oil and rice vinegar. Sometimes a bit of mint.

Cucumber martini:

1 1/2 oz melon liqueur
1/2 oz. lime juice
1/4 c. (peeled, seeded and grated) cucumber

Shake well and strain over ice.

and this is one of the very ordinary salads I eat when I feel the need for real vitamins:

CRUNCHY PEA SALAD

2 1/2 cups shelled green peas, or

1 bag frozen baby peas, thawed

1 1/2 cups diced cucumber

1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes

1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions

2 tbl rice vinegar

1 tbl olive oil

1 tbl honey

1/2 tsp coarsely ground pepper

1/4 tsp salt

Steam peas, covered, for about 6 minutes. Rinse under cold water, drain well. Combine peas, cucumber, radishes and green onions in a bowl. Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to blend. Pour over vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Serve well chilled with a good bread and maybe some cheese.

This is in my try files as I haven’t made it yet, but his recipes tend to be winners

This salad, originally from Sandy/GA on the Gail's Recipe Swap, has become one of our regular summer sides.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet & Sour Vidalia Onions And Cucumbers

Recipe By :Sandi/GA (Epi Chat)
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time 15:00
Categories : Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 Cups Cucumber, Peeled, Seeded -- slice thinly
1 1/2 Cups Vidalia Onion -- slice thinly
1/2 Cup Carrot -- grated
1/2 Cup White Wine Vinegar
1/4 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Fresh Dill Or 1 Teasspoon Dried
2 Tablespoons Water
Salt And Pepper -- to taste

In bowl toss together cukes, onions, carrots; set aside. Combine vinegar, sugar, dill, 2 tablespoons water, salt and pepper. Pour over cuke mixture, toss to coat. Refrgierate until eady to serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 55 Calories; trace Fat (1.2% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 5mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Oh of course. My mom used to make this sort of salad all summer, but no carrots and using sour cream (well way back there was no sour cream and she used canned milk gluk) but I use sour cream. ANd I like it with brown sugar.

Back