RECIPE: Dinner tonight got a big smile from hubby. REC: Roasted Tomato Soup with Croutons

RECIPE:

carianna-in-wa

I ate mine just plain with 2 crouton/toasts for dipping. Hubby put fresh cracked crab on his. He's on his second helping right now. We both loved this.

Recipe by: Michael Chiarello

Roasted Tomato Soup with Croutons

For the soup:

12 large (about 4 pounds) tomatoes, stemmed and quartered

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided

1/4 cup good-quality balsamic vinegar

12 large garlic cloves, peeled

Salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup chopped yellow onions

2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, plus few leaves torn for garnish

2 cups cold water

For the bruschetta:

1 loaf country-style bread

Extra-virgin olive oil

Salt

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

Prepare the tomatoes. In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, 1/4 cup of the oil, the vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper, to taste. Spread the tomatoes out on a non-reactive baking sheet. Roast the tomatoes in the oven until very dark in spots, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool a bit.

Prepare the bruschetta. Cut the bread crosswise into slices about 1-inch thick (you will need 8 slices). Lightly brush the slices on both sides with oil and season with salt. Place the slices on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until the bruschetta are golden brown and just beginning to crisp, about 6 minutes.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining 1/4 cup oil, the onions, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the onions are very soft, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the 2 cups basil leaves and saute with the onions for about 1 minute.

Add the roasted tomatoes and water to the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Puree the tomato mixture in a blender. Start the motor at a slow speed and increase gradually. Alternatively you can use an immersion blender right in the pot. The mixture should be very smooth. You should have about 8 cups. You can prepare the soup to this point and refrigerate it. When ready to serve, pour the soup into a medium saucepan and bring it to a slow simmer over medium heat.

Serve the soup. Place 1 bruschetta in the center of each shallow soup bowl. Pour the soup around each bruschetta. Garnish with torn basil leaves.

I watched Michael Chiarello make this on the Food Network yesterday, looked lovely..how

did you find good, ripe tomatoes in Washington State at this time of year, may I ask? I'm going to try it this week!

Well, I paid a fortune for 4 lbs. of vine-ripened ones. I think they came to $14.00

or something ridiculous like that. But I couldn't help myself. That soup just looked so darn good on tv yesterday I had to make it!

Ah, little flower blossum. You have seen the path to Chiarello Soup Enlightment

Barbara in VA enlightened me with his
Butternut Squash and Apple soup.
You can see it at his website linked here.

Then go to the Old Gail's Forum Seek and search for "Toasted Spice Rub" which Barbara graciously posted as well. Oh heck, forget bothering with that, here it is...posted by Barb in VA

Rec: Toasted Spice Rub
Source: Michael Chiarello's Casual Cooking
(I love this cookbook!)

Michael's Notes: I originally created a
version of this spice mix for a chicken
dish, but I also like to use it on lamb,
shrimp, and fish. It's delicious stirred
into rice and it transforms a pot of beans.
I add a pinch to soups that need a lift and
to scrambled eggs and omlets.

Don't let the amount of chili powder put you
off. California chili powder is almost
sweet, not hot. It is not a blend of
chilies and other seasonings, like the kind
you would use in Texas-style chili.
Instead, it is pure ground chilies. Taste
your powder, and if it's hot, use less than
the recipe indicates.

Toasting releases the aromatic oils in
spices, resulting in a more complex flavor.

1/4 C fennel seed (Marilyn's note: WE ONLY USED 2 Tablespoons so it wouldn't be too fennel-y)
1 T coriander seed
1 T black peppercorns
1 1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/4 C pure California chili powder
2 T kosher salt
2 T ground cinnamon

Put the fenned seed, coriander seed and
peppercorns in a small, heavy skillet over
moderate heat. Watching carefully, toss the
seeds frequently so they toast evenly. When
the fennel seed turns light brown, work
quickly. Turn on the exhaust fan, add the
red pepper flakes, and toss, toss, toss,
always under the fan. Immediately turn the
spice mixture out onto a plate to cool.

Pour the cooled spices into a blender and
add the chili powder, salt, and cinnamon.
Blend until the spices are finely and evenly
ground. If you have a small spice mill or a
coffee grinder dedicated to grinding spices,
grind only the fennel, coriander,
peppercorns and red pepper flakes. Pour
into a bowl and toss with the remaining
ingredients. Keep the spice mix in an
airtight container away from light and heat,
for up to 4 months, or freeze for up to 1
year.

Enjoy!

For the soup, roast the squash first...it reduces soup cooking time by half and sweetens it. I drizzle on a little heavy cream and add a few spicy walnuts and sauteed apple chunks, again on Barb's recommendation.

http://www.napastyle.com/kitchen/recipes/recipe.jsp?recipe_id=262&category_id=116

Note: Took this to school today in a thermos (am I sticking to my diet or WHAT?) and

I thought it was even better today. Think it benefitted from the time in the fridge melding it's flavors.

Back