Do you remember Michael Jackson and his moonwalk?

marilynfl

Okay...now that you've got that image in your mind, picture me (san sequins) walking down the dairy aisle 2 weeks ago, stopping suddenly, pausing, and then walking backwards to the butter display.

Backwards!

Okay...now that you've got that image in your mind, picture the utter astonishment on my face when I see Land O'Lakes butter is $8.99 a pound.

$8.99!!

A pound!!

Then my eyes trolled over to the eggs and Large Eggs were $5.99! And Jumbo were $6.99!

Wow...I have been buying my butter from Trader Joes for years now. It used to be $2.99 but is now $3.99.
Which is NOT $8.99. And until recently--when foxes got the majority of my neighbors' free-range chickens--my eggs have been free.

I checked back on Wednesday and butter is now down to only $5.99/pound. Oh goodie.

I wonder if Santa is going to get a Venmo request with his cookies and milk?

Last edited:
OMGoodness. That's criminal! I get my butter at Costco and it, and everything else, has gone up. But no that much.

It seems like such a farce. Cows did not go on strike and if they lost their jobs, surely we continued to support their contributions. Although there were perhaps a thousand that died in a flood here a year ago, in this province. But local cows have been just fine.

Now the avian flu is affecting turkey prices and availability.

The same butter that was $3.67 a year ago is now almost $8. But I cannot comprehend the other foods that have increased in huge multiples. The gov't here is doing an investigation into price gouging by supermarkets and finding some interesting occurrences. But that endeavour will probably be about as effective as their others.

Trader Joe’s is the cheapest for butter on a regular basis. I’m paying that same price here on the west coast. When it went up at Costco years ago, tj’s beat the price and hasn’t wavered. I recently rejoined Costco because my tv died. I was shocked their butter is almost $5 a pound! I actually stood there and did the math over and over because I couldn’t believe I was calculating correctly. (That’s more than wm.) Lots of items were more expensive than grocery stores. Needless to say, I’m not exactly happy about rejoining.

And I left there and went to tj’s to get my butter for holiday baking. However, their fresh holiday wreaths were made with boxwood cuttings this year. That was a big shrubbery nope from me.

I generally really like the dairy at TJs. Also I'm a big half n half consumer (coffee and on my oatmeal) and have been buying the half gallon Costco organic for years but this year it has been out of stock on several occasions. And the meat has been a problem. I mentioned the bone splinters in the pork chops in a different thread but another problem that I've had is that they have been injecting so much water in their meat that it has changed recipes for me. I made a beef roast a few weeks ago with a method that I've used for 20+ years and trying to sear the meat resulted in a soupy gravy instead. There are some monks that live out in the country about an hour from me. They butcher/sell meat to support themselves. I'm planning to give them a try when I get a big freezer. will probably buy the freezer at Costco! :unsure:

I have been noticing a great increase in the amount of water as well. And agree, that it demands a change in cooking method. How disgusting we have become. I bought cheaper (medium) ground beef for the first time in about 20 years. I actually measured 1 1/2 c. water, coming off 2 pounds, when I was cooking it. And pork is loaded as well.

Back